Drum Micing - Clips Vs. Stands

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

surf's up
pushin' record

Drum Micing - Clips Vs. Stands

Post by surf's up » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:21 am

I generally use clips that attach to the drum for close micing of snare and toms, but it can be a hassle sometimes directing the mic precisely where you want it (or experimenting with various precise positions), and Ive also run into clips who dont support the weight of the mic well enough, and gravity runs its course, forcing me to adopt some kind of odd balance system just to keep the mic from resting on the drum.

Im not made of boom stands, but Im warming up to the idea of using them to close mic drums. Im also concerned that there wont be enough floor space for all those tripod bases and all those cymbal stands to co-exist in a way that still lets me mic things the way i want. I will probably just end up buying a few more boom stands and trying this.

Just wondering if there is any convention for this when it comes to professionals for whom gear limitations are not an issue, or if it really just comes down to whatever's convenient in any given situation.

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm

I'd have to say that you should use what works for any given situation. If it is a clamp or a stand. I use mostly stands, but with certain mics (Audix D2s for example), I might use a clip, while others (Senn MD421s) I will always use a stand.

It really can be a sea of stands and cables at times, but once set, is a thing of beauty!
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:06 pm

Round base stands are easier to place around a drum-set. If you?re using really heavy mics, get an old weight set from a garage sale and put them on the stands permanently. Get shorter booms if you can, and don't forget to have short stands. The standard "club height" stand is good for rack toms, scratch vocal, sometimes room mics and that's about it. Grab a couple goosenecks too!

googacky
pushin' record

Post by googacky » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:13 am

I always try to use stands because it makes sense to me to decouple the mic from the source. I'm sure it makes a difference having the drum resonate up through the clip.

sleep over jack
ass engineer

Post by sleep over jack » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:40 am

i've never had much luck with clamps. not only does it fuck with the resonance of the drum, you also have issues with the mic vibrating in sympathy with the drum, which ain't a good thing either.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:28 pm

Stands. For sure.

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:37 am

drumsound wrote: If you?re using really heavy mics, get an old weight set from a garage sale and put them on the stands permanently.
A fabulous idea that I've never thought of. Now I can get rid of that old electric furnace motor I've been "positioning" as a counter-weight!

Stands, though. I definately prefer them to clamps for recording.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:50 pm

I tried clips a couple times. Granted I'm no expert at drum sounds, but I found it a lot easier to dial in sounds with the mobility and flexibility of a stand. Worth the pain in the ass for me.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:31 pm

I use clips usually only because i have a small room and I don't really have roomd for a drum kit amps, band members, me, my recording equiptment, and a bunch of stands. Hopefully that will change in the not so distant future.

I would definiatly use stands if I had the room to because some times in is hard to get the mics adjusted the way I would like with clips..

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:56 pm

Audix gooseneck clips are great!