George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:53 pm

I like Spector's sound. It's ATMP that I never really cared about. Still, now I'm curious to hear the unSpectored version - I might even make it all the way through!
beware bee wear

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:25 am

I always considered it a masterwork until I heard the rough mixes without all the spector crap on it. Same routine as the get back record.
Wow. I've always felt the complete opposite. The bootleg of the Glyn Johns acetate I've had always sounded terrible to me. A real mess. Which begs the question - why didn't the Beatles release it as it was originally?
I wouldnt consider the sound of phil spector to be more important than george harrison alone or the beatles collectively, yet he got in the way of thier sound twice.
Well, they knew what they were getting when they HIRED him to work on the records. It's not as if he stole into the vaults to piss on the master tapes when nobody was looking.
I want to hear george harrison, not the producer...
Which you can on every GH record post 1971. I love George, but...

*blech*
I never understood the praise for Spector's wall of smear, wall of blur, wall of shit... whatever you want to call it.
Yeah. And I never understood what the hell people like Picasso, Monet, Pollock and Debussy were on about either. The cunts!

:lol:

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:59 am

Totes, votemiles. Harrison ASKED Spector to do the record, he KNEW what it would sound like. Too bad if he later regretted his decision.

To answer the Let it be question - I *think* they (beatles) thought the record was a shitty mess and only agreed that they didn't like it as is. I don't care either way, that's another record I don't listen to.
beware bee wear

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:00 pm

That's one of my favorite albums of all time- and I love Spector- but I'd sure like to hear what was going on underneath the wall. I'm relatively up on my Fabs boots, but I don't recall ever hearing of the rough mixes. Any idea what that one's called or anything?

djuny
audio school

ATMP boots

Post by djuny » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:35 pm

There are probably several names for the bootleg versions, but I'm only familiar with the ones I've downloaded (I presume legally, since they are boots!). One is called "Beware of ABKCO", and I think it has most of the stuff.
Thinking about it now, I think it is mostly demos - but good demos.

Marlowe
gettin' sounds

Post by Marlowe » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:05 am

"The Making Of All Things Music Pass"
the brill bedroom wrote:That's one of my favorite albums of all time- and I love Spector- but I'd sure like to hear what was going on underneath the wall. I'm relatively up on my Fabs boots, but I don't recall ever hearing of the rough mixes. Any idea what that one's called or anything?

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:57 pm

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:16 pm

votemiles wrote:Interesting...

http://www.rarebeatles.com/ghpsatmp.htm
Nice. Tho, I don't see where PS is pushing wall of sound on the guy.
beware bee wear

spectralgrey
gettin' sounds

Post by spectralgrey » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:35 pm

I wouldn't blame Phil Spector. Listen to John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band. Spector could do a great raw stripped down record, it just wasn't what George brought him in to do.