Protools Options

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

stinkpot
pushin' record

Protools Options

Post by stinkpot » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:02 pm

Posting in the RIP Tascam forums has gotten me thinking here. Sooner or later I'll be making the leap to Protools. Since I don't have 5 digits to drop on HD, and I already have a Tascam MX2424 (24 in/out depending on bit rate), does anyone have suggestions for intigrating it into an LE setup? My initial thought is to track initially to the MX (or analog which is an option and then dump to MX) and simply export the .wav files to PT. Then do the rest in PT.

Now, Digi002 or M-Box?

Can I use the converters in the MX to track straight to PT somehow? How flexible is PT with hardware?

Is this just a bad idea? I do like being able to record more than 8 tracks at one time.

I know Jim Williams has come out and slammed the MX converters, but frankly, I've never heard his beef with them.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:38 am

You could use the adat lightpipe from the mx2424 into the digi 002. The digi 002 rack has spidf and light pipe for digital sources. I just noticed also that the phantom switches are on the back, thats lame! Using the adat in only gets you 8 more channels of input. I experienced a lot of issues using acctual adats and lightpipe into motu 2408's. It worked for a long time just fine, then, BAM clock errors, clicks and snaps. Someone else will be able to shed more light on using the 002 and lightpipe.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:12 am

002 and lightpipe can be very stable if you get your clocking right.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:31 am

I'm guessing at some point file exports will get tiresome and you'll want the ability to track directly into PT. With the Mbox you're limited to 2-tracks at a time due to the USB interface. Not sure about the specs on the Mbox 2 but I don't imagine it's much more. The 002R is probably your best bet, with 8 channels of built in analog I/O, 8 channels of ADAT I/O and 2 channels of S/PDIF I/O. If you're just running the Tascam with it and using the ADAT ports, you'll need to pick one unit or the other to serve as the common clock source for both. The Tascam would have to have an ADAT input that it could slave to in order to use the clock from the 002R. Otherwise, you'll have to slave the 002R to the clock signal coming in from the Tascam over the ADAT input port.

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:52 am

I forgot about the clocking issues, that's something I've not had to worry about yet as I just use the Tascam like a regular old tape machine with my console and other outboard gear.

I like the idea of the adat in/ out in addition to the analog in/ out. Really, it's rare that I'd have more than 16 tracks going in at one time, so that seems reasonable.

Just so I'm clear, if I'm using just the Tascam and the Digi, there's no need for an outboard clock, correct?

Also, does this seem like a good idea to you guys to stretch the input capacity for PT LE, or am I overthinking it due to a lack of familiarity with PT?

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:16 pm

I think alot of people (myself included) use more than the standard 8-channels on the 002R. I use both the ADAT and S/PDIF channels as well; though I think the most I've had cause to simultaneously track up to this point is 17 channels. The key is everything needs to operate off a common clock; and the 002R is a bit limited in that regard as it doesn't have a dedicated wordclock port--so you need to use either the ADAT or S/PDIF input to clock it externally.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:22 pm

Track to the MX2424 as you do now, then transfer the raw .wav files to your computer (assuming that you have that capability). As far as I've heard, the Digidesign converters are yoman-like, and probably not discernably better than the MX2424's (total supposition on my part). Plus, you won't need to worry about digital clocking, which is another giant can o'worms, if you really get into that.

Also, since you'll not be using the Digidesign preamps, you can go low and snag an old Mbox for cheap, to use essentially as a dongle, so you can run PT. For that matter, once you get the files onto your comp, you can use whatever DAW software you wish to, and keep adding tracks to each song as you like, up until the limits of the software. I *think* PT LE has a limit of 32 tracks.

Transfering will be a pain if you don't have a connection directly from the MX2424 to your comp, to copy files over, and you have to burn a CD instead. I know because I did something similar with a Korg D-1600 and PT. However, if you can dump the files quickly and easily from the MX2424 to your comp, then transfering will be a breeze, and you'll dig it a lot, I would surmise...

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:51 am

If you have the capability to use a tape machine (type of setup), then you have the capability to use PT like a tape machine, which IMO is the way to go. Keep the separate I/O by using an 002 and another 8 via firewire. You would have 16 I/O at that point, then use anything via Spdif, even a DAT machine or TC finalizer type box to get two more I/O. There you have 18 I/O going to a console just like yo work now, but with a graphical interface.

Just my opinion.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:13 pm

wedge wrote: I *think* PT LE has a limit of 32 tracks.
this is correct.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:25 am

I'm beginning to lean towards the 002R maxing out all the I/O options. I think that in the long run I'll be happier with that setup and it's flexibility.

The file transfer method is definately cheaper, and is plenty easy, but would get time consuming after a while. Also, at that point, I'm stuck mixing in the box. Am I correct on that?

That's something else that I want to aviod, is having to mix in the box. So again, option 1 seems better.

Ok, so now, when I upgrade my computer - PC or Mac? Laptop or Desktop? What have you guys found to be the best combination with PT-LE?

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:20 pm

stinkpot wrote:I'm beginning to lean towards the 002R maxing out all the I/O options. I think that in the long run I'll be happier with that setup and it's flexibility.

The file transfer method is definately cheaper, and is plenty easy, but would get time consuming after a while. Also, at that point, I'm stuck mixing in the box. Am I correct on that?

That's something else that I want to aviod, is having to mix in the box. So again, option 1 seems better.

Ok, so now, when I upgrade my computer - PC or Mac? Laptop or Desktop? What have you guys found to be the best combination with PT-LE?
The file transfers are very time consuming. It can turn into a second job. My MX is gathering dust, I can't seem to keep it cool enough and it is noisy (failing caps). Couldn't bring myself to spend any more money repairing it.

I'm currently running PT7 on a Dell Precision M70 running XP with a M-Audio 1814. Pretty happy with it...

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:19 pm

scott anthony wrote:
stinkpot wrote:I'm beginning to lean towards the 002R maxing out all the I/O options. I think that in the long run I'll be happier with that setup and it's flexibility.

The file transfers are very time consuming. It can turn into a second job. My MX is gathering dust, I can't seem to keep it cool enough and it is noisy (failing caps). Couldn't bring myself to spend any more money repairing it.

I'm currently running PT7 on a Dell Precision M70 running XP with a M-Audio 1814. Pretty happy with it...
Yeah, once I start having the typical issues with my MX, I'll stop using it. I did have heat issues until I realized that the screening that covers the fan port was clogged with dust. Cleaned that up and no problems since. I can't bring myself to get rid of it yet as it has that magical 24 in/out capability...

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:30 pm

As far as a platform goes--just make sure whatever you get is compatible with the version of PT LE you'll be using. Check the compatibility specs on the digidesign site.

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:34 pm

Joel,
Were you suggesting firewire instead of lightpipe?

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:11 pm

To get 16 ins & outs with the 002R you need both--firewire and lightpipe.