Tunes woven from the same cloth?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Tunes woven from the same cloth?

Post by Fieryjack » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:31 pm

Okay, this isn't exactly critical listening, but a serious diversion of boredom.

The Doors - Touch Me
The Four Seasons - C'mon Marianne
Don't these two tracks sound like they have the exact same guitar riff/drum riff?

How about
Franz Ferdinand- Do Ya Wanna
The Bee Gees - You Should be Dancin'
Seriously...listen to drums and bass on the latter. Okay, don't.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: Tunes woven from the same cloth?

Post by JGriffin » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:02 pm

Fieryjack wrote: How about
Can I just not listen to either one?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

surf's up
pushin' record

Re: Tunes woven from the same cloth?

Post by surf's up » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:57 am

dwlb wrote:
Fieryjack wrote: How about
Can I just not listen to either one?

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:15 am

I used to notice this ALL THE TIME. Back when "Lady Madonna" was a hit there was also a song that got airplay called "Montego Bay," by some unknown, same tune exactly.

But the real case for plagarism is Police "Every Breath You Take" and the song by someone else that goes, "Hey-ey-ey hey-hey. I love you more than I can say. I love you twice as much tomorrow. Love you more than I can say."

Or the Ghostbusters theme and "I Want A New Drug."

This could be the new never-ending thread.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Post by Kyle Motor » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:12 am

joelpatterson wrote:I used to notice this ALL THE TIME. Back when "Lady Madonna" was a hit there was also a song that got airplay called "Montego Bay," by some unknown, same tune exactly.
"Montego Bay" was a Bobby Bloom record. Bloom was in the crowd of guys the wrote/produced/performed a lot of late 60's bubblegum stuff (Ohio Express, 1910 Fruitgum Co., etc). The entire album with "Montego Bay" on it is a "Lady Madonna" rip-off, as every song on it sounds exactly like "Montego Bay".

chacabuco
audio school

Post by chacabuco » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:54 am

How about Jorge Ben's Taj Mahal as ripped off by Rod Stewart in Do Ya Think Im Sexy

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:12 pm

joelpatterson wrote:I used to notice this ALL THE TIME. Back when "Lady Madonna" was a hit there was also a song that got airplay called "Montego Bay," by some unknown, same tune exactly.

But the real case for plagarism is Police "Every Breath You Take" and the song by someone else that goes, "Hey-ey-ey hey-hey. I love you more than I can say. I love you twice as much tomorrow. Love you more than I can say."

Or the Ghostbusters theme and "I Want A New Drug."

This could be the new never-ending thread.
I believe that's Leo Sayer singing "more than I can say," and while they seem to share a I-vi-IV-V (or I-ii-IV-V, depending) type of progression (which about 793 fifties tunes also have) I don't see the similarity otherwise. YMMV.

Re: Ghostbusters. The story I heard was that they wanted to use the Huey Lewis tune, weren't allowed to, and then had Ray Parker, Jr. write and record the GB theme along the same lines...and then got sued.

"Lady Madonna" and "Lovin' is What I Got" (G Love and Special Sauce? I don't recall) always seemed real close, as well as the first line of U2's "tryin' to throw your arms around the world." They all have the same first line melody.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:58 pm

Oooh, this is a fun one. How about Beck's "Ramshackle" and Bob Dylan's "4th Time Around"? Of course, there's also "Paper Tiger" and Serge Gainsbourg's "Melody", but that's practically sampling already.

An obvious one is The Kingsmen's "Louie Louie" and the Sonics' "Psycho", although it's a bit unfair because they did come from the same scene.

Someone pointed out to me a similarity between Tom Petty's "American Girl" and the Strokes' "Last Nite." There's definitely something to it.

One of my favorites is The Flamin' Groovies' "Yes It's True" and the Beatles' "All I've Got To Do", although it's really a case of both songs being fairly conventionally structured rock-shooting-for-R&B types.

And lastly, although it's only for the first few seconds, the Beach Boys' "Sloop John B" and the Smiths' "London."

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:30 pm

Listen to "Sunrise" off of New Order's Low Life, then go listen to "A Forest" off The Cure's Seventeen Seconds....

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:34 pm

One of the oddest ones I've ever noticed is that "Smooth" from that crappy Santana duets comeback bullshit record sounds a lot like "Rainbow in the Dark" by Dio!

Where's Garges? I'm sure he's got a million of 'em.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:16 pm

And of course, Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer" and Belinda Carlisle's "Heaven is a Place on Earth" are very similar--you can sing one over the other easily...they were also written by the same guy so that might have something to do with it.