The Police - Spirits in the Material World

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

aeijtzsche
gettin' sounds

The Police - Spirits in the Material World

Post by aeijtzsche » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:01 pm

OK. For some reason, I've recently become obsessed with everything about this song.

Now, obviously I'd love to know exactly what equipment was used on every aspect of this recording, but I actually have a more overarching topic: Synthesizer use.

1. I'd really like to know what is responsible for the apocolyptic bass sound on that record, if anybody has read or knows anything about the synth used, if it was doubled with bass guitar, etc...

2. I don't really like bass guitar as a bassline playing instrument. Go figure. I think that it's usually more trouble than it's worth. I find that I both prefer records and also prefer to create records that either have more than one bass instrument playing the same line in the same octave, or use a synth bass sound. That's why "Spirits in the Material World" is such an important song for me; it's a prime example of "how bass should sound" to me.

Has anybody else "noticed" certain limitations of the bass guitar?

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:51 pm

No.
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:11 pm

That's a great song to be obsessed with! I think "Every Little Thing..." is an even better candidate for obsession. IMHO, a better pop song has not been written. Anyway, back to your song...

Yep, that's definitely a bass guitar on there (Sting *is* a bass player). And yep, it's doubled by a synth bass.

I don't know what you're talking about with regard to the bass guitar not being a good instrument for carrying the bass of a song. They sound great to me.

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:30 pm

My memory is hazy but I recall reading about the making of that album in MIX back when it was recorded (early eighties). IIRC there were two basses used, one Fender and the other was something unusual like a synth or fretless psuedo upright of some sort.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: The Police - Spirits in the Material World

Post by JGriffin » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:36 pm

aeijtzsche wrote:
2. I don't really like bass guitar as a bassline playing instrument. Go figure. I think that it's usually more trouble than it's worth. I find that I both prefer records and also prefer to create records that either have more than one bass instrument playing the same line in the same octave, or use a synth bass sound.
could you expand on this, please? And give us an idea what your musical tastes/background are. Very curious to find out where this point of view comes from. Not saying it's wrong, it's just unusual.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Rivers
gettin' sounds

Post by Rivers » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:51 pm

Didn't Stang use an Electric Upright Bass(Bowed)around this time?
I'll have to dig that song up and give it a good listen.
Smell the Magic.
www.katp.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:20 pm

I just heard "Spirits" on the radio yesterday. I hadn't heard it in a long while. The things I noticed were how well done it was, and that even though it's so driven by the upbeat synth part that puts a date on the track it doesn't sound dated.

Is the effect on the Rhodes the built in stereo vibrato or is it something else?

aeijtzsche
gettin' sounds

Post by aeijtzsche » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:33 am

could you expand on this, please? And give us an idea what your musical tastes/background are. Very curious to find out where this point of view comes from. Not saying it's wrong, it's just unusual.
Well, first of all obviously it's wrong to say I've never liked the sound of a single bass guitar carrying a track. But for the most part, I think it's hard for a bass to do that.

For instance, Brian Wilson discovered in 1963 sometime that Phil Spector used two or three basses on his sessions. So he started mostly just by having whoever played bass, be it He or Carl or Al, double the exact line on the instrumental overdub.

Suddenly, you can hear the bass. There's a big leap in low end sonics. It's applicable in mono and stereo mixes of the albums. Of course, When Brian started hiring a lot of session musicians, he always had at least a Fender Bass and a String Bass, generally playing in unison.

I think that's kind of like what some people do with taking the bass DI and also amping it. Trying to get the bass sound plus the top end bite. I just think it's more convincing when it's two instruments.

Thanks for the comments about "Spirits." Anybody know Hugh Padgham?

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:53 am

I also recall reading that Sting doubled most of his bass tracks on that record with an Upright and an electric.

That record is one of my favorites as well. There's a great eerie vibe all over it. Very cold and grey sounding, in a cool way. Perfect for the time.

An interesting thing about that song is how hard it is to tell where the "one" is in the first verse. I played the song with a band a while back, and my lord, no one could find the one in the first verse. Once you get established in the chorus, it's smooth sailing and you realize the pulsing guitar/synth part is upbeats, but many smart musical friends of mine grew up thinking the part was on the beat in the first verse.

Oh, and Scott Stapp is on Regis and Kelly right now and he sounds even worse than you think.

Roger

aeijtzsche
gettin' sounds

Post by aeijtzsche » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:59 am

I didn't even think about "Brian" the upright bass. Perhaps that's what sounds so synthetic and it's not a bass synth at all?

Silverlode
gettin' sounds

Post by Silverlode » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:28 am

Sting doubled an upright and fender jazz bass all the time. That's what it sounds like on that track to me. Maybe Andy doubled the part on guitar, too, as it sounds like there's an mid-upper octave there.
y.t. > Silverlode
http://thebside.org

aeijtzsche
gettin' sounds

Post by aeijtzsche » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:50 am

At the beginning of the second and third verses, clearly one of the instruments drops out and a less-articulated version of the line plays once through. It may indeed simply be the upright. I'm wondering about a triple from Andy as well.

It really is a fantastic sound. That's why I'd really like to know what went into it.
The things I noticed were how well done it was, and that even though it's so driven by the upbeat synth part that puts a date on the track it doesn't sound dated.
I agree. Very tasteful synth use, I think that's why it doesn't automatically sound dated.

Silverlode
gettin' sounds

Post by Silverlode » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:27 pm

Another thing I love about that track, and the Police recordings in general, is that even though the production was always amazing, there are mistakes, which make it human. In Spirits In The Material World, sting lets his A string ring open at one point by accident I'm sure. It happens right on the downbeat at 2:41. I'm pretty sure Sting just screws up. Hugh Padgham said Sting was a sloppy bass player in that when he played there was always lots of fret and string noise and such. I love that mistake and alway crank the outro of that song.
y.t. > Silverlode
http://thebside.org

aeijtzsche
gettin' sounds

Post by aeijtzsche » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:22 pm

Some enterprising person should release a disc of soloed Sting bass tracks.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:09 pm

Silverlode wrote:sting lets his A string ring open at one point by accident I'm sure. It happens right on the downbeat at 2:41. I'm pretty sure Sting just screws up.
Man, I wore that album into the ground, listened to that song hundreds of times, never noticed that before.