Grateful Deads from Blues for Allah till the End

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Esmo
takin' a dinner break

Grateful Deads from Blues for Allah till the End

Post by Esmo » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:25 pm

I just got that box set they put out of all these albums. I forgot how weird sounding they are. So clear and sharp. Funny mixes too.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:09 pm

Those later Grateful Dead albums are the ultimate example of turd polishing. A few of them have moments of genius, for example the ultra-frumpy Steely Dan sound on that strange song "France". I just get the sense that recording was a source of much stress for them when it was so easy to go out onstage and pound out the songs night after night on tour.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:13 pm

They do have a wierd sharp quality. Some of that stuff has grown on me though.
Especially late seventies, w/ some of the Blues for Allah tracks, some of the Terrapin songs.

And no matter how much I always hated that shot in the dark album or whatever it's called (w/ Touch of Grey) I have a feeling I might like it some time in the future.

I sold all my dead cd's at one point because I went though a spell of hating jamming and I really am not at all into the scene, and I needed money, but I eventually bought all the shit I really like back.

That band is just a wild card. The more I think about it, they can be just the most ripping, beautiful thing, or be totally unlistenable, song to song sometimes.

Anyway, I saw that Festival Express dvd and they really rip on that, (not the acoustic stuff) but when Pigpen comes out and they do Hard to Handle and Easy Wind. That's the shit that some people around here might appreciate if they could get over their fan-relation/noodle paranoia bias.

Ahhh, I'm probably the only person in the world who likes the Grateful Dead but hates the scene.

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:45 pm

honkyjonk wrote:Ahhh, I'm probably the only person in the world who likes the Grateful Dead but hates the scene.

In the Dark is a good album, the only one in my opinion that is good all the way through since Workingman's Dead or possibly Wake of the Flood.

But it's all about John Oswald's mega-dark-star album Greyfolded, when you get down to it. Two full CDs of plunderphonics upon live recordings.
Last edited by Brian Brock on Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:34 pm

I think Garcia was equally into the music and anti-scene, although towards the end he seems to have hated everything in the world.

Whatever happened to those Guatemalan drawstring pants that seedy people used to wear at hippy-dippy shows?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:13 pm

honkyjonk wrote: Ahhh, I'm probably the only person in the world who likes the Grateful Dead but hates the scene.
I'm right there with you brother!

Besides the early stuff the only really good record is the "Without a Net" live record...go figure!

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:07 pm

I don't like the music or the people. I've seen them live (on supposedly a good night) on New Years in San Francisco, and there wasn't one moment of musical inspiration. Personally, I'd like to take a fucking crop duster over one of their reunion shows and take out all of them (both the band and the filthy, slobbering idiots who are stupid enough to follow these fourth rate clowns).

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:23 pm

hammertime wrote:I don't like the music or the people. I've seen them live (on supposedly a good night) on New Years in San Francisco, and there wasn't one moment of musical inspiration. Personally, I'd like to take a fucking crop duster over one of their reunion shows and take out all of them (both the band and the filthy, slobbering idiots who are stupid enough to follow these fourth rate clowns).
So... you like them?! :lol:
beware bee wear

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:55 pm

Where you been, mr. time?

Ah, I missed the fury of the Hammer

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:15 pm

I really don't see what people like about them. The singers are out of tune with each other and the band; the jams are monotonous and don't build up to anything; the shows are just an excuse for a bunch of lifeless flake meatheads to bounce around like chickens with their heads cut off or something (I'm sorry, I can't watch a stadium full of stoned white people who can't dance -- they just reinforce racist stereotypes about white people and rhythm). I hate them.
joeysimms wrote:
hammertime wrote:I don't like the music or the people. I've seen them live (on supposedly a good night) on New Years in San Francisco, and there wasn't one moment of musical inspiration. Personally, I'd like to take a fucking crop duster over one of their reunion shows and take out all of them (both the band and the filthy, slobbering idiots who are stupid enough to follow these fourth rate clowns).
So... you like them?! :lol:

Esmo
takin' a dinner break

Post by Esmo » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:31 am

-t
Last edited by Esmo on Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:16 am

It looks like some people really like the Grateful Dead while others revile them. Fascinating.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:37 am

Blah blah blah.
Esmo wrote:you are a jerk.Obviusly there is a huge amount a people that love the dead. Milions really. I can listen to quite a few albums or shows and feel really charged up and exhilerated. The problem is you really. What do you gain from making fucking ignorart, insenitive statements. Is the band that you like better now? Is it a contest? That sort of mentalit just runs contrary to all the idea of being an inaquisitive listerner and fan of music- judging music baseed on a small sample and based on a small repesentation. If you took that same style of analzation to any genre, you could just tear it apart. Blues could be classified just like you classified the dead; out of tune and monotonous and repetitive.
Anyway, to summarize,I dont like the way you view things. Also, your statment is just as racist and hateful as the views that you criticze. Who cares what color someone;s skin is when they are dencing? You are criticizzing a stereotpye wjile enforcing that one that african american people are the only ones that can dance People enjot the dead qite a bit'; what joy do you gain by having this ridiculous opinion of yours floating around? Based on what you have said, I do not like you.
d[/u]

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:48 am

Dude. I didn't prejudge any one. I've been to their concerts. I've listened to their crappy versions of Howlin' Wolf songs that I've seen 10 year old kids play better. I've heard them on every drug imaginable. And my opinion remains -- they stink. Sorry. Millions of people like all sorts of crap, too (just look at the t.v., or listen to the radio). Nothing personal.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:21 am

"Only a twerp would castigate an audience for its enjoyment of something"

-Pauline Kael, the sharp-as-a-tack New Yorker film critic