Grateful Deads from Blues for Allah till the End

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Rob Christensen
gettin' sounds

Post by Rob Christensen » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:05 pm

Tatertot wrote:Is "Chico" short for Chicago?
Tatertot - I could be wrong, but I assume Mr. Hammertime is from Chico, California, a small college town north of Sacramento. Larry Crane's band, Vomit Launch, was from Chico.

Regarding the Dead, I've developed a bit of a new appreciation for them over the last several months. I can't really articulate why. They're just kind of fun. I can put on a Dead show and it's good background music. I mean that as a compliment, strangely enough. I can just put it on to keep me company while reading or doing chores and it doesn't demand too much of my attention. It's kind of soothing and yet it's still human. What can I say? Plus, several of my friends at college are Dead fans and they're very nice intelligent people. Even if they have missed out on some of the better music that's out there.

The Tallman
audio school graduate

Post by The Tallman » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:59 pm

No use in defending taste in music, but one thing not said much about the Dead is that they were a great dance band. I've only seen two other bands I'd put in the same league: The Rolling Stones and James Brown.
Many Are Called But Few Get Up