Interface for Logic Pro?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Aisjump
audio school graduate

Interface for Logic Pro?

Post by Aisjump » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:39 pm

I own a dual 1.8 Power mac G5, and I am looking to get started on a Logic Pro system, but had a few questions regarding interfaces. Originally when I was tossing this idea around in my head, I was planning on using logic pro with a Rosetta 800 and the x-firewire card. but as i understand it, there would be some latency issues.
What would some Logic users out there recommend for a professional quality interface without breaking the bank. The cost Rosetta was really as much as I wanted to pay for this thing. More channels would be a plus... but, I need at least 8.

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:15 am

There are so many options out there...did you want firewire, or a pci option?
I would avoid using any digi stuff, as the core audio drivers tend to not want to play nice for many, so I have read, at least the 002 and similar stuff.

Can you narrow down your needs a bit?

Best,
H

Aisjump
audio school graduate

Post by Aisjump » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:19 am

I'm pretty flexible as far as needs. i dont need a control surface, PCI or firewire is fine, the main thing is The Quality of sound, and latency.
I've been looking at the Motu 192HD which seems like it would meet most of my needs, but I hear alot of people talk motu down. any thoughts?

chacabuco
audio school

Post by chacabuco » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:40 am

Just posted this on another topic, but I really love the Metric Halo stuff. Works flawlessly with Logic. The convertors are top notch and the pre's, especially on the ULN2, are fantastic.

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:57 pm

Remember to compare not only the hardware, but the drivers for the device. If they're buggy or poorly written, you have a bit of a doorstop no matter how cool the a/d's are.

If you choose a firewire interface, double check how many channels (at what rate/bit depth) you can record on the FW bus, while also using external drives.

If you get an inexpensive card (RME?) for the computer, you can then change and upgrade your convertors in the future. An Alesis HD24XR can even be a good front end.

Best,
H

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:46 am

The first question you need to answer is how much of your stuff will be done on location versus in the studio.....

I strongly suggest the Motu 828mkII (or even a used 828), which I have had fantastic results on. You can have a total of 16 inputs when you combine analog & digital, and the preamps aren't bad at all. Combine the 828 with a Octapre and you've got a nice little set up for Logic.

I have had no problems (or very few) with a Motu/Logic combo (though I'm not on 7.0 yet!)