Help with digital pops and clicks while tracking in PT

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Cletus
audio school graduate

Help with digital pops and clicks while tracking in PT

Post by Cletus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:08 am

So I have just recently got all my gear up and running in a new studio space and have started tracking when I noticed some very suttle pops and clicks while tracking in Pro Tools. It is very subtle unless I have the gain up high on my pre's. I'm not sure where it's coming from as nothing in Pro tools or in the front end is clippping. I'm using an 002r with an Apogee mini me for conversion, API pre's and Dynaudio BM5A's. I have adjusted the trim pots on the Mini me to a very low input metering level along with using the Soft Limit feature. I do set the Mini me as master clock source and have checked to make sure the sample rate matches pro tools and I also replaced the s/pdif cable in case that was the problem but to no avail. I've skipped the mini me all together and gone straight into the 002r and still the same issue. The sessions that I've done elsewhere or cd's I've listened to on the Dyn's sound good so it's not a cabling issue there. I realize that the API pre's have alot of gain but I'm not even getting close to the red when hearing the pops and clicks. Can anyone give me an idea where the problem may be? Thank you!

McPorkChoppy
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by McPorkChoppy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:48 pm

I've had similar problems with pops and clicks in the past, but it was mostly because my computer couldn't handle the sample rate I was using. I lowered it, and it worked fine. What are your DAW specs?