Spring reverb from guitar amp to the console?????

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Evergreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Spring reverb from guitar amp to the console?????

Post by Evergreen » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:40 pm

This might be a stupid question.... I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and I was wondering if I could use the spring reverb in it without using the speaker. I want to use it through the aux sends or inserts. Can this be done with out blowing something up? The only post reverb out I can find is 1/4 inch TS jack that is connected to the speaker. I was going to try to use this but this output is made to drive a speaker and I figure this signal is very hot and might damage something. I don't even know if it will sound good on anything but I want to try it anyway just to see.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:10 pm

how does the signal exit the spring tank?

Sometimes there is an rca coming out of the tank..

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:35 pm

You could also just mic the amp. Works fine.
beware bee wear

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:35 pm

the Millennia Twin Direct thing has a speaker input, which is designed for exactly what you want. Perhaps there is another device which does the same thing?

I would think the reverb tank's output is at line level, if it follows the effects loop.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:03 pm

My '74 silverface twin had a Line / Recording 1/4" out, it looked stock, too.
beware bee wear

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:01 pm

I found schematics on the net once to make an amps speaker output into a line level output. It just involved using some resistors. It hummed, and sounded like ass when connected straight to the board or deck.

but it worked. I've still got that. I think I just need to replace a fuse.

lightning_electronics

Post by lightning_electronics » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:12 pm

well, you could use a THD Hot Plate power attenuator as a dummy load and use the line out on the Hot Plate to send to your board.

besides this, you can use the Hot Plate to crank the amp but reduce signal to the speaker so you can get great power section overdrive with better volume control. my Hot Plate is the only way i can play through my fender quad reverb (100w, four speaker version of the twin). heck, even with 15 watt amps i still use a hot plate for playing without being blown out of the water.