A Pice o' the new record

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

A Pice o' the new record

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:05 pm

Istra's new record "hits streets"..I guess... Feb 11th. Here's 2 of the of the songs, recorded here at home and mastered by Eric at MonsterLab audio in Sac-town. Please critique mix, song whatever.

Mike

http://istramusic.com/wakingmp3.mp3

http://istramusic.com/justbarelymp3.mp3
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:08 am

I find it very unlikely that there is NOTHING anyone had to complain about...

tonyoci
studio intern

Post by tonyoci » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:48 am

Waking has a very professional sound, hard to imagine it was recorded at home (what are you using).

The songs are definitely solid and professional. I like them but as said they don't sound like home recordings. I am not a fan of too much stereo pan and Waking has that left ear panned guitar that I didn't like. But the chorus is powerful.

All the same goes for Just Bareley, very pro sounding, good singing and good sounds. It took a long time to get going but it was powerful when it did. I don't like the song as much as Waking but it's still a good 'un.

Good stuff.

Tony

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:40 pm

tonyoci wrote:Waking has a very professional sound, hard to imagine it was recorded at home (what are you using).

The songs are definitely solid and professional. I like them but as said they don't sound like home recordings. I am not a fan of too much stereo pan and Waking has that left ear panned guitar that I didn't like. But the chorus is powerful.

All the same goes for Just Bareley, very pro sounding, good singing and good sounds. It took a long time to get going but it was powerful when it did. I don't like the song as much as Waking but it's still a good 'un.

Good stuff.

Tony
Well, it was mastered profesionally (as stated)

My studio consists of the MOTU 896HD and the DBX 160A. That's it.

Oh ya, I have a decent mic collection I guess.

Stephen B.
gettin' sounds

Post by Stephen B. » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:34 pm

I agree, it sounds very good. I like the guitar sounds on Waking. Nice "Hollywood ending" chords (b6 b7 1). Maybe something I would have done differently on that one was have less room mic on the drums during the verses, and then back in on the chorus. I know doing that is a cliche, but it's probably a cliche because it works. I think it has a good chorus.

I think on Just Barely, the heavy guitars would sound heavier if less gain had been used. Why am I always a sucker for half-time? I think it's used well here. Maybe you should double-track the scream vocals?
"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

C.S. Lewis

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:52 pm

Stephen B. wrote: Maybe something I would have done differently on that one was have less room mic on the drums during the verses, and then back in on the chorus.
I kinda struggle with reverb levels, I think it's because i'm in an untreated mixing room. I often find there's too much verb on some tracks when I listen in headphones...

MIke

ataraxia
takin' a dinner break

Post by ataraxia » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:59 pm

nice fusion of early-mid 90's indie and newer indie. not a complaint but everything sounds so good....i would thickened vocals with like a zillion other vocal tracks during intense parts, but thats the way i like it. 1,2 is not enough. might be an idea for the second album.