Tascam 38 - Tape falling off

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Aeroplane Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Tascam 38 - Tape falling off

Post by Aeroplane Audio » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:39 pm

Hey all. The question I have seems rather newbie-ish, but I figure it's better to find out exactly what the hell is wrong with this 8 track I have than to just let the problem get worse.

I've had this 38 for about a year or so. Usually during playback/recording the reels move fine, quiet and without any problems. Over this past sumemr i noticed that the left feeder reel was starting to make alot of noise, almost like it was loose on the hub, especialyl while rewinding and fast forwarding. This strikes me as odd because I always have the reel secured to the hub as tight as it possibly can go, and it never really looked like it was rotating unevenly. It wasn't affecting the quality of my recordings and wasn't very consistant, so i didn't think too much of it and let the player be.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I had been away from my studio for a long damn time. I wrapped up recording of my stuff in Late june, went on tour from July till the end of august, and left for school almost imemdiately after coming back from tour.

Now, i'm re-mixing and overdubbing some stuff with this band that I recorded before I left for Tour, and it is taking me at least 3 or 4 tries to get the tape to play without actually slipping off the rollers. It all appears to be alligned fine when teh tape is loose on the reel, and everything still looks centered when I tighten the reels to engage the motors. But as soon as i start playing, it looks like the capstan is pushing the tape off the heads. This would only happen in spots. at some points on the tape everything would be fine, and at others this would happen. It won't happen while rewinding or fast forwarding, but the shaky sound coming from the supply reel is alot louder & more consistant.

What's wrong, and what can i do to fix it.

Boy, i'll be extra embarrassed if this is something rediculously simple.
"There are two kinds of mistakes: The regular kind, and the kind that don't sound too good"
-Thelonious Monk
--------------------------------------------------------
www.myspace.com/tuttutkc
www.myspace.com/ironpawrecords

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:25 pm

maybe your edit button is a little screwy? i got one of these and it took me a second to realize that the edit button was in. if you need to borrow a tascam 38, i'm in dc and can lend mine to you if you're in a pinch. I just need to look at a manual because i don't have one.....

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:16 pm

it could be a number of things, especially since im not entirely clear on your problem. "actually slipping off the rollers" slipping off how? towards you or just not staying tight, or shooting off to the right?

my first guess ( and i could be wrong ) is that the screws holding the hub to the actual motor are loose. the screws are inside the face of the machine. you'll need to pull off everything you can, including the cover for the head stack and the odd nut behind the pitch knob and then look inside. just behind the hub you will see a philips and allen head screw holding it to the motor. just make sure the brake pad thingy ( the clothe around the outside of the hub) is even on both sides and tighten the screws/hubs down. hope that works.

if not we'll try something else.

let me know

good luck,

steve

bjoihawk
audio school graduate

Post by bjoihawk » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:17 pm

i'm having the same problem with my 38. after playing for a few seconds the tape slips off of the capstan away from the deck. i'm also getting quite a bit of warble. my guess is that i need a new capstan belt. any other ideas?

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:53 am

you can get a new belt here http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/ amongst other places. even ebay.

is your pinch roller soft and sticky or nice and firm. it could be that. it could also be a motor dying, or a number of other things. first bet would be to tighten everything up and while your in there look at the belt. could probably use a new one anyway.

Aeroplane Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Aeroplane Audio » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:22 pm

bjoihawk wrote:i'm having the same problem with my 38. after playing for a few seconds the tape slips off of the capstan away from the deck. i'm also getting quite a bit of warble. my guess is that i need a new capstan belt. any other ideas?
That's exactly the problem. I suspected it might be the belt, But i wanted to make sure.
"There are two kinds of mistakes: The regular kind, and the kind that don't sound too good"
-Thelonious Monk
--------------------------------------------------------
www.myspace.com/tuttutkc
www.myspace.com/ironpawrecords

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:48 pm

I had the same problem with mine. It was because the pinch roller assembly was bent. Find a good tech and they should be able to fix it for you .