Cleaning a SM57

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

analogcat
alignin' 24-trk

Cleaning a SM57

Post by analogcat » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:55 am

I couldn't find any info about this, maybe it's a no-brainer.

I got some old sm57's on ebay that rattled and had screens beyond dirty, so with nothing to lose I dismantled them and cleaned them up.

First I unsoldered the wires (remembering which went where), and backed the 1/4" nut out to the end of the screw (but leaving it on)
[hmm, probably could just leave the wires on now that I think about it.]

That gives enough room to remove the bottom grill. Don't want to pull up too hard on the capsule or the wires will break off the bottom of the board.
I used only a ecthing needle, worked perfect for this.

The top grill is held by a spring clamp, here's all the pieces.
I soak and pressure wash the screen, very carefully dust the diaphram.

The spring clamp connects to the top grill in two spots under the label. (If the beginning of the label is 12 o'clock, the two spots would be 3 and 9. )
The rattle in these mics is caused by a loose foam filter, water pressure gets rid of them. Or I guess you can get a replacement top screen & spring clamp from Shure for about $16.

Went back together easy, rattle gone, mic sounds great (or at least like a sm57)
Last edited by analogcat on Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:37 am

WOW! you did it! I've got a 57 i've used as my vocal mic in rehearsals for the past 7-8 years and its fucking gross! i should take a picture.

analogcat
alignin' 24-trk

Post by analogcat » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:11 am

The first time wasn't so smooth. I tried to remove the capsule from the top housing, big mistake. And I managed to break the spring clamp, fortunately two halves hold as good as one whole.

A screen on one of the mics had such a buildup of nicotine it looked like someone burned an incense on top of it.