Ever recorded a full band with only 1 mic?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:09 pm

drumsound wrote:Am I the only one whe's had something released that was done this way?
Nope. An old punk band I was in did this and we released it. It was recording on this old tape recorder I have and we all got around it and just moved the amps and drums around till it sounded got and then we tracked it. Vocals, guitar bass and drums all live one mic (that was on the tape recorder, ha!). It sounded good for what it was.

I recently did a bluegrass band and I recorded them live to one mic (and Oktava ML-52). It was banjo, upright bass, mandellin, and acoustic guitar. We did over dub vocals later and a few other little things, but the meat of the song was just do live to one mic, and it turned out awesome. It was recorded for and up coming Troma movie called Poltrygeist http://www.poultrygeistmovie.com/

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:38 pm

Ulysses' debut record 010 was recorded with a U87 in omni and then had the vocal overdubbed later... sounds pretty great, and I really like the songs... good stuff.

Josh

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:57 pm

drumsound wrote:Am I the only one whe's had something released that was done this way?
I recorded an acoustic trio with one C12, and that was released. they are called the roulette sisters. We only did one song that way...

Oh and one other song with a single copperphone..

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:39 am

Plenty of rehearsals with omnis in a fairly good room acoustically-speaking. I'm rarely happy with the bass sound though tbh.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Barry Jive
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Barry Jive » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:36 am

If you think about multi-tracking with one mic, didn't Paul McCartney do "Ram" with one mic?

About 90 percent of my record was done with one mic. It turned out better than I anticipated:

www.cataldomusic.com/weddingcake.mp3
www.cataldomusic.com/lipsanddollars.mp3
www.cataldomusic.com/parts.mp3

-Eric

joaquin
audio school graduate

Post by joaquin » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:18 am

nothing released, but... I had great results with a AKG414TL-II set to OMNI about 3' from the floor in the middle of the room about 3'...4'(maybe more depending on balance) from the amps and drums of a electric trio.
Cheers.............Joaquin.

Edweird
audio school graduate

The Mummies

Post by Edweird » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:17 am

The Mummies (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll) based their entire career on recording around one microphone.

Also, I think The Monarchs used this technique as well. Having trouble finding a link for them, though.

In my last band band we used an Apple Plaintalk mic in a PM5500 using Peak 3 to record practices. We just hung it in the rafters of our practice space and let it go. I loved some of those recordings, but the rest of the guys wouldn't let me use 'em for anything outside of the group.
~A box of lego pieces that may or may not fit each other is much more stimulating to a kid's ability to learn and explore than a pre-made action figure that walks and says something. -Carl Menezes

gitgrinder69
audio school graduate

Post by gitgrinder69 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:48 pm

Every once in a while I run sound at a coffee house that uses one AT4033 into a cheap presonus compressor, through an ancient Peavey powered mixer, then finally into a consumer grade Sony cassette recorder. It has produced some of the best recordings I have ever made. This technique is crucially dependant upon two factors: The sound stage must be well tuned, and the band has to USE the mic. Groups that understand this will "dance" around the mic, and effectivly mix their own levels via proximity. The only problems I've ever had are when the band can't play the mike, which is nearly impossible to "fix in the mix".

Gabriel

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:17 pm

I recorded a band with a beyer M-500 omni ribbon, got signed to Capitol Records by the end of the week, with the demo.
Harumph!