Hi-speed Firewire HD??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jash
audio school

Hi-speed Firewire HD??

Post by jash » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:15 am

Hello All,
I am in need of a fast external Hard Drive for my ibook G4 with which to do Audio stuff (mbox/PT primarily). I have been having a hard time finding any Firewire drives that are more than 7200 rpm. The brands I thought were the classics of Digital Audio (Glyph, LaCie) don't even seem to have firewire HD's @ more than 7200...maybe theres no such thing as a 7200 rpm firewire HD??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
-J
blah blah blah

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:20 am

I haven't seen any 10K RPM firewire drives yet. Even the ones using firewire 800 are still 7200 RPM. I suppose there's nothing stopping you from buying an empty hard drive enclosure w/firewire and putting a 10K drive in there, though.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:26 am

a 7200 rpm drive should be able to handle anything your iBook can.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Re: Hi-speed Firewire HD??

Post by hammertime » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:38 am

I think the only hard-drives getting over 7200 are some of the newer SATA drives (internal) and scsi drives. I've never heard of a USB 2.0 or Firewire drive getting faster. I just bought a Western Digital 8mb cache 160 gb drive at Office Max that so far is working fine. My choice was between that and a 200 gig Seagate at Circuit city. Why would you need a faster drive for an m-box?
jash wrote:Hello All,
I am in need of a fast external Hard Drive for my ibook G4 with which to do Audio stuff (mbox/PT primarily). I have been having a hard time finding any Firewire drives that are more than 7200 rpm. The brands I thought were the classics of Digital Audio (Glyph, LaCie) don't even seem to have firewire HD's @ more than 7200...maybe theres no such thing as a 7200 rpm firewire HD??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
-J

jash
audio school

halucinations...get off the drugs

Post by jash » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:59 am

Thanks to everyone who responsed to my poorly edited post...

hammertime: I was just curious to know what would be best for my situation. I don't necessarily need anything that fast but was under the impression that I should try and go for a faster HD for all audio application and was sure I could remember seeing/hearing about faster Glyph and LaCie drives but clearly...I was halucinating.

I'll probably end up with either a LaCie d2 or some form of seagate now.

Thanks,
-j
blah blah blah

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:13 pm

I have had good luck with the LaCie D2 case drives under many situations, host based and TDM. I have had one of those for like 5 years and pounded the hell out of it on many systems, at sample rates up to 192k even though digi says you need to use mutiple drives for that...

I have had real poblems with 10k rpm drives. As with anything, the higher the performance, the higher the failure rate due to mechanical limitations and heat problems. The 10k drives were both SCSI, but regardless... the wire wasnt the problem..