Sounds/Mix critique

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Sounds/Mix critique

Post by weatherbox » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:18 pm

this was my second "serious" band recording project - though plenty of solo recording done ahead of time. I'd appreciate critique/suggestions on mixing, primarily, as it was a little overwhelming and definitely where I feel least comfortable at this point. Pointers on general sound would be cool too, particularly on the drums. Recorded in a living room which I am now building bass traps for. The room is fairly dead but also fairly small. I think my monitoring situation was kinda lousy and something i'm trying to improve... in the end I wish I'd gotten more tight low-end push.

http://homepage.mac.com/weatherbox/Soun ... ing30.html
it's the two tracks at the bottom - Concentric and Tomorrow(etc)

thanks

tonyoci
studio intern

Post by tonyoci » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:58 am

I really really like Tommorrow, it sounds really good not like a home recording at all. The vocals sit really well in the mix and the drums sound great.

To contradict myself, once the chorus kicks in the vocals are a stab low.

Overall the mix lacks a little power that might be added in mastering.

Concentric is great also though the chorus mix is a little "fizzy" with the cymbals etc.

What are you using for recording ? Please email me homemadehitshow@gmail.com if you'll allow me to play Tommorrow.

Tony

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:12 pm

thanks Tony. It's recorded on a Digi002r. That low end power is still eluding me and I hate digital cymbals! The only mic I have two of (and used as overheads) is the Baby Bottle which has a unique presence in the upper midrange that I think doesn't really lend itself that well to cymbals in a room like mine... maybe a big cavernous space there's be enough ambience to counteract it some... I'm still overwhelmed by mixing, too - breaking out of the urge to just set things to a sound I like and leave them; working the levels and panning and all.

and feel free to play the track! thanks again for the comments.