List o'Mastering Engineers

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tozesoyomakate
audio school

Post by tozesoyomakate » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:47 pm

I registered Just to answer this.
We were in the same boat as far as mastering our self recorded album. but we had to master it localy here in DC.we wanted to be part of the process.
Another engineer came as a reference from the nether www.netherscomputer.com they'r last album engineer was antonio at recordingarts in fairfax VA you might wanna give him a call they are nice guys and do great work other than that chad ad SS is also a big wig around here.

Edit:
Oh and bill wolf of wolf productions is also a big big wig around here I"ve heard some of his work and it is very good very nice high end. but He will NOT make things loud ie: over compress to gain some more rms he will kick you out if you ask for that' he's very old school.

digdug
pushin' record

Post by digdug » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:04 am

Reuben wrote:Fred Kevorkian at Avatar is great.
He was very recently recommended to me as well. If I can scrounge up the $$, it just may happen.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:40 am

Reuben wrote:You must be so burnt on questions about Yoko...
Oh my yes

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:30 am

I would like to add Dave Harris at Studio B Mastering (www.studiobmastering.com) to the list. Dave's a great mastering engineer and a nice guy.

I would also just like to mention what a total badass Chris Blair was. I can't believe how touched I've been by his death. It's a real shame that I'll never get to work with him again.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:08 am

I,ve used

Golden, West West Side, and Silver Sonya all with great results..I recommend if your in DC to hook up with Chad and TJ..they are great guys and offer great rates and are local..

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Re: List o'Mastering Engineers

Post by TapeOpAndy » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:38 am

wedge wrote:This will be my first attempt at hiring an ME, and on a practical and an emotional level, it kinda feels like looking for a good therapist. In other words... scary... Especially since, like a bad therapist, a bad mastering job can fuck up your life (well, not really, but who wants that?!?)...
Given what you said here, I would highly recommend that you do an attended session, no matter which M.E. you choose. Which leads to two concerns. (1) Proximity. (2) Not all M.E.'s will be able to schedule you in for an attended session on a guaranteed date if you're "on a budget."

Attending your first mastering session can be a huge learning experience.

Manic Compression
audio school

Mastering engineers for Wedge

Post by Manic Compression » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:40 am

Wedge,

I know you're in DC but Alan Tucker at Foothill Digital in NYC is a great mastering engineer as well as a great person. He has years of experience, superb equipment, and many label credits. Most important he is honest, listens to you, and is neither arrogant nor condescending. I would talk to him about the long distance. I am fairly sure it would not be a problem but can count on "Tuck" to give you a straight answer.

Hope this helps.

Bill

TooLoFi
gettin' sounds

Engineers

Post by TooLoFi » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:22 pm

Paul White in Canada. Has written numourous numourous informative articals about mastering, and has great ears.

John La Grou in placerville. He's the Millenia dude, was recently considered for a Grammy for his work with a symphony orchestra. Has good ears, and great gear (very balanced mastering room).
going one way down a wrong way street

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: List o'Mastering Engineers

Post by jmoose » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:30 pm

TapeOpAndy wrote:Given what you said here, I would highly recommend that you do an attended session, no matter which M.E. you choose. Which leads to two concerns. (1) Proximity. (2) Not all M.E.'s will be able to schedule you in for an attended session on a guaranteed date if you're "on a budget."

Attending your first mastering session can be a huge learning experience.
That's a great point. Every time I've attended a mastering session I've walked away with a wealth of knowledge about my mixes and the way I hear things. A good ME can point out the consistencies and inconsistencies, not to mention hearing things on monitors with crazy resolution can really be an ear & mind opening experience.
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:19 pm

Joao Carvalho at www.joaocarvalhomastering.com

I work at this studio during the night hours with bands who have a limited budget. If you have a little money set aside, go with Joao. He's done great work with almost all the Canadian bands you've heard about lately.

kdownes
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by kdownes » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:35 am

heres another for chad and tj @ silver sonya,
i was very pleased with the work they did for me.

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:12 pm

Jeff Lipton did a very nice job on my band's record a while back. I have no idea what he charges as the label picked up the tab :^:

monkey boy
audio school graduate

Post by monkey boy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:44 pm

alan tucker is fantastic. has done a great job on the projects i've taken to him. is personable, informative and has a wealth of knowledge and experience. very open to what i was going for and super musical.

yourmomsp
alignin' 24-trk

Post by yourmomsp » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:13 pm

Hi, I am in need of some advice concerning mastering sessions. I'm finishing up on an album and am in need of mastering. With the 2 previous albums i've recorded, i've sent my recordings off to this mastering engineer who has mastered a lot of the albums i've enjoyed and like. I've been happy with the 2 albums he mastered for me. This time around, I'm kind of interested in sitting in a mastering session. I'm curious to see how the process works. There's this guy in my area who has a long list of credits and everyone speaks highly of him. I'm not as familiar with his work, but since he's in the area, i would get the opportunity to sit on the session. What do you guys think I should do? Should I ditch the ME i've worked with before and happy with for this album, just so I can opportunity to sit on a session?

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:42 am

That's a VERY rough call... If the place you've been using has done well, I'd tend to stick with what works for you.

Maybe book an hour with the other place as a single track consultation? If you explain your situation to them, I would think they'd be up for it...
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering