Frequency of a given instrument?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:16 pm

Dude

You can post thusly in my posts anytime... I dig that sort of beauty anytime, anywhere, in any context...

lee
steve albini likes it

Post by lee » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:23 am

no links... this time...

about the charts IMO; ive never thought of them to be very useful. i never refer to a chart to make conclusions for my ears. maybe im just obsessive, but i when i think a kick sound "flabby" i use a narrow Q and sweep it between 100 and 300 Hz until i go, "and... there it is!". then perform an audiorectamy in that spot.

the charts are interesting for sure, but there are better ways to find those freq's.
i've written the song that god has longed for. the lack of the song invoked him to create a universe where one man would discover inspiration in a place that god, himself, never thought to look.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:49 am

I agree..use you ears not some chart..everything in nature goes down and up in frequency to infinity anyway..a chart can give you an idea of where the most important frequecnies of a instrument are and certainly wont take into account the mixing of a bunch of frequencies going on in your recording room..going by the chart religiously wont give you good results every time imho..niether will eq..my best results have been when I assess the aramgement of the song and track it accordingly using the mic placement and preamp selection and maybe a comp and eq selection to put it in as close to the mix state as possible going in..