protools LE 6.2.2 - can I erase specific parts of waveform?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cfMC
pushin' record

protools LE 6.2.2 - can I erase specific parts of waveform?

Post by cfMC » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:13 am

When I zoom way in on my waveform in the edit window I can see exactly which part of the waveform I want to remove.

is there a way to erase just that specific part of the waveform? I dont want to delete the actual section I want to modify the wave by zooming in and erasing the outlying pattern

there is an electrical spike sound I want to remove and I'm not sure if this is something I can do. I guess alternatively I could mix the volume down at that milisecond?

zthomas
audio school

Post by zthomas » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 pm

Yes.. let's see..

Click the Pencil tool and change it to free hand (or what ever) and simply draw the spike out. Try and retain what you think the waveform would have naturally looked like.

I haven't actually done this myself, but this is what the tool is for.

cfMC
pushin' record

Post by cfMC » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:30 pm

I thought it might be a matter of drawing it out with the freehand pencil but I couldnt get it to work. now that I hear thats indeed what its supposed to do I'll poke around and make it happen. thanks!

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:53 pm

The pencil tool doesn't work untill you're zoomed in all the way to the single line graph. If you're still seeing filled in hills & valleys then you are too far out. It may not fit the entire waveform you need to fix on a single screen, but that's where you need to be.

Another trick in a fairly repetitive waveform is to back up to the cycle or two before the offending snap, highlight the complete cycle from 0-crossing to 0-crossing, and hit control-D for duplicate. This will copy that cycle and paste another copy immediately after it, eliminating the offending noise, and hopefully landing right in place to match up to the next cycle of the wave. A tiny cross-fade right at the two edit points will help smooth the transition too.

-Jeremy