Listening focus problem?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Ian
alignin' 24-trk

Listening focus problem?

Post by Ian » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:50 am

I was wondering if anybody else has this problem.

When I'm listening to music for pleasure, I really can't just listen passivly. I'm constantly trying to figure out the guitar parts, vocal lines, piano. If it is music that I like(why listen to music you don't like for pleasure) I really have a tough time not getting focused on figuring it out, and once I have it figured out I usually play along. It's like I have music listening ADD. In my car I'm always panning stuff around to hear the L/R mix, and trying to figure out the harmony. Just wondering if it's just an occupational hazard of being a musician/engineer, or is this a personal problem? Anyone else suffer this affliction?

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:17 pm

I know what you mean. When I first hear something, I'm usually listening to it analytically. Trying to imagine guitar parts, recording techniques, etc. Over time as I become more familiar with it, I'm able to listen more emotionally and just appreciate what's there without trying to figure it out.

I know my taste in music is heavily influenced by the "mathematical complexity" (for lack of a better term) of the material. I've always been a prog rock kid, but the blues bores me to tears. This is unfathomable to people like my wife, who listen to music on a pure emotional level because they don't understand or care about the techniques.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:46 pm

i'm kinda the opposite of of John. I usually listen from an emotional, visceral point of view first and after I've spent some time with a record I start thinking and noticing the more technical things. Of course some things always stick out "OOO Harmonizer" "nice guitar tone" etc, but its mostly music first and technique second for me.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:23 pm

I had the painful experience of suffering through a concert by a national group on tour, by the name of "hem," folk/pop/blues/I guess?, as a favor to my girlfriend and daughter, and not having any responsibility for how it was sounding, I was free to get the distinct sensation

GOD THIS GROUP IS BORING! THEY ARE TRYING TO SING JOHNNY CASH'S "JACKSON" AND IT'S TAKEN THEM TWO VERSES AND A CHORUS TO GET MARRIED IN A FEVER! IT WAS THIS FORMULAIC HODGE-PODGE WITH GUITARS, KEYBOARDS, VIOLIN, MARACAS, THE GUY HAULED OUT HIS "FAVORITE" KEYBOARD PATCH AS OPPOSED TO THE WIND CHIMES AND SPACE-LANDSCAPE PADS WE'D BEEN LISTENING TO AND THE HIGHLIGHT WAS THIS HIGH NOTE THAT CAPPED OFF THE RIFF AND I FOUND MYSELF WAITING FOR, DREADING THAT NOTE, IT WAS AGONIZING.

And I had shamefully to admit if it was me on the board, it would have been a heaven of washing shimmeringness and true high art, the peaceful easy feeling made real on a summer night.

So I don't even trust my taste in music anymore, it's totally compromised.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:47 am

this is something that i wrestled with for a LONG time. i went to school for music, so we had to analyze insane stuff constantly and it took me away from enjoying listening to music to overanalyzing it ALL the damn time. over the years, ive kinda gotten over that. for years and years and years i wanted to figure out harmonies, chord progressions, guitar types based on tones, that kind of thing. recently though, ive sort of had a reawakening and i listen for musical interactions in the music i listen to. i listen to a lot of jazz and rather than just listen to charlie parker and what awesome notes he can play over a Eb7 chord, i listen to how the musicians are all interacting with eachother. now, this doesnt work in cookie cutter music unless its recorded live, so ive been finding myself seeking out music that IS indeed recorded live so i can hone in on that interaction. makes me hear tunes more as a whole and brings me back to that listening enjoyment thing. Zeppelin is a great example. man those guys could PLAY, but WOW could they play TOGETHER.

2cents
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:53 pm

It sort of happens to me. Not always on a really analytical level (although sometimes so) but sometimes (especially in the car) I just really like hearing what's going on, even if it's something I know. I think it drives my girlfriend batty.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:25 am

i hardly listen to music in the car beacuse my stock 97 honda accord system sucks ASS. its good sometimes to check a mix to see if its still okay on a crap system, but hardly enjoyable for listening for fun
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

lanterns
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lanterns » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:47 pm

let's all analyze 'the spooning technique'.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:00 pm

I remember having an epiphany at about 12 years old, when I realized the bass was the low sound, the guitar higher, and the cool lead in "Lucky Man" was a thing called a synthesizer, etc.; before that a song was kind of a totality, a wash of sound.

To some extent I've analyzed everything since.

When my focus was on performing, I used to try and analyze why Jones played such and such against Jimmy, etc.

Now, I typically do not analyze the music itself so much, as the sounds, ex., what instrument (harmoniums and dulcimers are current oddball faves), what space (reverb), what effect, what panning, fader moves, etc.

I now feel that I am close to acheiving complete recording geekiness.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:17 pm

It took me a while but I've learned to listen to music in different ways. Sometimes I'm listening with a critical ear, listening to drum sounds or arrangements. Other times, music is purely background to whatever else I'm doing. And then, I can also listen attentively and enjoy myself but not analyze everything. Sometimes I do all three at the same time. I think it's very important to listen purely for the enjoyment of it.

My .02 cents.

shawn

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Listening focus problem?

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:55 am

Ian wrote:I was wondering if anybody else has this problem.

When I'm listening to music for pleasure, I really can't just listen passivly. I'm constantly trying to figure out the guitar parts, vocal lines, piano. If it is music that I like(why listen to music you don't like for pleasure) I really have a tough time not getting focused on figuring it out, and once I have it figured out I usually play along. It's like I have music listening ADD. In my car I'm always panning stuff around to hear the L/R mix, and trying to figure out the harmony. Just wondering if it's just an occupational hazard of being a musician/engineer, or is this a personal problem? Anyone else suffer this affliction?
Yes. And it takes the fun out of music for me. I have to trust my gut though when it comes to working with a band and getting the best out of them. I'll always be moved by a great melody though. That should be the focus.