The Sytek MPX-4Aii

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

The Sytek MPX-4Aii

Post by sonicmook56 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:11 pm

Looking for a schematic, as I am interested in the circuit topoligy. I think you can get it off the Mfg. web site, however you need to register with a serial number of the unit you want the schematic for.

Can anyone help me out?

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:11 pm

I'll see if I can find something Ben. I have the sytek. Thinking of letting it go, actually..
beware bee wear

gregnrom
takin' a dinner break

Post by gregnrom » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:03 am

I don't know if Mike at Sytek will give out the schematic (I don't even have one). I can tell you that there is no witchcraft going on though. It is basically a discrete front end feeding commercial monolithic op amps, and a ground sensing balanced output (no transformers). After that, he screens the parts to find the best of the litter and w-bang! Preamp. In this day of 200 different preamp options it seems too simple to be marketable (no impedance switches, VU meters, tube stages, relays, discrete op amps, or blue leds). It is just good clean gain.
Greg Norman
www.electricalaudio.com
Music I've recorded
www.normaphone.com
me me me me me

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:17 am

I've got a schematic for the Valley People Transamp (why? who knows), which I believe is the template for the neotek/sytek.

PM me and I'll email it to you if you're interested.

Cheers,

Jay

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:21 am

One of my clients has an older MPX-4a which has a faulty channel. I contacted Sytek for a schematic and they won't send me one, but instead insisted the entire unit be returned for service.

Well, that's a problem since he uses the other three channels every day on his drum setup.

I also have a VERY dim view of any manufacturer that refuses to send service info to customers. Far too many manufacturers with this attitude have gone out of business leaving former customers in the lurch with no service info.

Of course, I've also made lots of money (at the customer's expense) "reverse engineering" these orphans. That's what I'll have to do in the case of this Sytek with the defective channel.

When I was Chief Engineer at a 24 track room, any gear that did not have service info available (even for extra cost) was NOT purchased, regardless of how cool it seemed to be. OK, there *was* one exception...a Yamaha REV-1. Now, many years later, the Yamaha company is still around, but refuses to offer any service support, including schematics that I offered to pay for. So, the studio now has a $10,000 (or whatver it cost new) door stop.

Bri