Guide for ripping vinyl

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cdwill
audio school

Guide for ripping vinyl

Post by cdwill » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:20 am

I'm looking for a comprehensive, step-by-step guide for ripping vinyl to .wav files- ideally, one that contains hardware recommendations and setup instructions.

Any recommendations?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:42 pm

You mean what should you get?
If so:

Get the best converter you can afford, and some software. i use Protools. I have recorded a TON of vinyl into PT so I can listen to it on my iPod on the subway. If you are archiving go nuts with the quality of conversion for sure, if not: get whatever you can afford and enjoy having your music in a more portable form.

cdwill
audio school

Post by cdwill » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:13 pm

joel hamilton wrote:You mean what should you get?
If so:

Get the best converter you can afford, and some software. i use Protools. I have recorded a TON of vinyl into PT so I can listen to it on my iPod on the subway. If you are archiving go nuts with the quality of conversion for sure, if not: get whatever you can afford and enjoy having your music in a more portable form.
I'm so green at this that I'm not even sure what you mean by 'converter'.

From what I've read, I think I need:

turntable, preferably belt-driven, connected to a preamp, which then runs to my PC. Software to record to .wav and later divide and edit tracks, like ProTools, Audacity, Exact Audio Copy, etc.

I'm looking for information on the process itself- information/tips on minimizing background noise, determining appropriate volume levels, etc.- and recommendations for (preferably cheap) turntables, and preamps or their equivalent, which are compatible with the setup I've mentioned above. I've also read that the cables used matter, as using a USB connection from preamp to PC is ill-advised. I was hoping for an all-inclusive 'Guide to Ripping Vinyl for Dummies', but I can't find anything that dumbs down the process to my level.

Any and all information on this topic that you might think is valuable would be much appreciated.

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:34 am

The possibilites are wide open on this. Perhaps if you were to break the process down a bit-ie. You need the following:
1. Good record player-Check (ok, so it's a 1200mk2, but it'll do for me)!
2. Good phono preamp-(Rotel) Check!
3. A very good AD converter-I believe this is the area you are truly inquiring about.

Try doing searches on converters to find the best solution for you at the price point that fits your model, after which, it becomes just a little more than dubbing lp's to tape.

Best,
H

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:10 am

Don't forget a good needle/caeridge!!! Start at $40. Figure the needle is the equivalent of getting a good mic. I have been most happy with Shure, but Grado and Audio Technica also make pretty good ones. The quality goes up pretty quickly with the price.

If you want REALLY cheap, Harman/Kardon 330c is a pretty amp that goes for 15 bucks on ebay. Sounds great though.

KennyD
audio school graduate

Post by KennyD » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:43 am

I have no idea if this will sound any good, but I just saw a write up on a USB Turntable:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000940071106/

At the very least, it seems like it'd make ripping vinyl simpler!

-Kenny D

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:38 am

Toaster 3000 did a review of some turntable thingy... that was a compuer interface and phono preamp type thing.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:22 am

KennyD wrote:I have no idea if this will sound any good, but I just saw a write up on a USB Turntable:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000940071106/

At the very least, it seems like it'd make ripping vinyl simpler!

-Kenny D
You could get a totally great turntable, amp/preamp, cartridge, and even USB converter for the same price as that thing, though it will make it a lot easier.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:47 am

i wrote a review for the january issue of EQ of the ART USB Phono Preamp/interface. it's pretty ill. and it's only like 99 bucks. definately awesome for sampling/ipod-izing your vinyl, as well as a handy 2in/2out usb interface for whatever. and it doesn't need anydrivers with OSX, which is cool. TRUE plug and play.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

cdwill
audio school

Post by cdwill » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:12 pm

UXB wrote:The possibilites are wide open on this. Perhaps if you were to break the process down a bit-ie. You need the following:
1. Good record player-Check (ok, so it's a 1200mk2, but it'll do for me)!
2. Good phono preamp-(Rotel) Check!
3. A very good AD converter-I believe this is the area you are truly inquiring about.
Would you mind explaining the distinction between the preamp and the A/D converter? Put another way, why are both necessary? My understanding is that the preamp allows the volume level to be raised prior to recording, but I'm not sure what the A/D converter's function is. Yours is the first mention I've come across of an A/D converter in addition to a preamp.

The responses to my post thus far have been very helpful, and I appreciate them. Please feel free to add anything you consider useful or important, as it's likely that I'm unaware of important aspects of this not yet mentioned.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:15 pm

cdwill wrote: Would you mind explaining the distinction between the preamp and the A/D converter? Put another way, why are both necessary? My understanding is that the preamp allows the volume level to be raised prior to recording, but I'm not sure what the A/D converter's function is. Yours is the first mention I've come across of an A/D converter in addition to a preamp.
A phono pre-amp gets the signal up to line level and applies the RIAA equalization curve to it.
The A/D converter converts the analog signal into digital PCM which can then be recorded by your DAW.

If you encounter a piece of vinyl in particularly bad shape that you wish to transfer then having both a good record cleaner and also audio restoration software (i.e. declickers/decracklers).

Best regards,
Steve Berson