cables to allow a guitarist to be far from the amp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:06 pm

I use mine for reamping, the 3 levels on those boxes plus the levels I have on my Delta 44s really let me dial in the level I want.

Sometimes I go into the effects loop in, sometimes I use the input jack. Having a lot of levels to try makes it easy to dial it in.

bniesz
takin' a dinner break

Post by bniesz » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:22 pm

For the sake on continuety, I can see why you'd need passive DIs.

However, an active DI at the guitar end should work (right?), and might sound nicer.

Neve Studer
audio school graduate

through the wall

Post by Neve Studer » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:47 pm

keeping the head in the CR is great. The dual di thing works well too, but as people have said, they have to be pretty good. But for sensitive guitar set-ups- say a fender mustang into a simple amp, straight in is best.

I got tired of slamming all my mic cables in the door, so I built "mouse holes" -flexable pvc tubing between the mic panels into the isos, and at the front of the control room. you can stick a rubber cork in them when not in use.
"I know that it needs strings, that I do know."

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:09 am

As the Professor states, get one of the STDs from Little Labs. They are cheap, and work great! I used on where the guitar player was 100 feet from his amp, and we heard no signal loss at all when we a/b'ed.

Great little box for very little dosh.
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:52 pm

Am I just reading too fast or has no-one even mentioned the Little Labs STD? I know they're kinda new, but I'm really surprised no-ones mentioned it. They're selling 'em right now at Mercenary for like $120 as an introductory price (normally around $140 I think) and dude it is sooooooo worth it for this kinda thing. Just do yourself a favor and pick one up...you'll never look back.

EDIT: Oh I just saw that I WAS reading too fast. Ditto what Perfesser and DH said...no signal loss, dead quite, and most-importantly it doesn't make your amp or guitar sound any different in any way. in a nutshell: it's like there's nothing there. And that is the ultimate goal.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:17 pm

Caldo71 wrote:Am I just reading too fast or has no-one even mentioned the Little Labs STD? I know they're kinda new, but I'm really surprised no-ones mentioned it. They're selling 'em right now at Mercenary for like $120 as an introductory price (normally around $140 I think) and dude it is sooooooo worth it for this kinda thing. Just do yourself a favor and pick one up...you'll never look back.

EDIT: Oh I just saw that I WAS reading too fast. Ditto what Perfesser and DH said...no signal loss, dead quite, and most-importantly it doesn't make your amp or guitar sound any different in any way. in a nutshell: it's like there's nothing there. And that is the ultimate goal.
Damn Californians...Always in a hurry!

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:23 am

drumsound wrote:Damn Californians...Always in a hurry!
Yer beyootiful babe...let's do lunch. Pencil me in.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com