logic caveat

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

logic caveat

Post by jeddypoo » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:53 pm

Okay, the one complaint I DO have about logic- and tell me if there IS a way to do this without using track automation or copying sections of a track- there is no way to print an effect onto a section of track like you would very easily in Pro Tools via the Audio Suite window and marquee tool. Why the hell not? Why should one have to jump through hoops to do this?
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:04 pm

I'm not fluent at all with pro tools, but would a freeze track accomplish this?

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

hmm

Post by jeddypoo » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:26 pm

I'm not sure exactly what I would do with said freeze track- could you be more specific?

blacklisted
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blacklisted » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:31 pm

if you are talking about stuff like processing it to play reverse and such then you gotta go into the sample edit window by double clicking on the region... if you have something selected with the marquee tool i believe it will come up highlited in the sample edit window... if you have logic pro 7 then you can use the audio suite plugs but only if you have them already...

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:42 pm

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but If you want an .aiff file of only the one track with the effects printed on it, in the arrange window, under the view tab, select show track freeze buttons. Press the newly shown button (i think that's supposed to be a snlowflake), hit play, and logic 'freezes' the track to save cpu. What this also does is renders an .aiff file of the track with effects (so instead of processing the effects, logic just plays back an audio file). You can find this file in the finder in your song's folder under 'freeze tracks' or 'freeze files' or something like that.

I have to admit I don't fully understand the question, due to my lack of pro tools knowledge; but I thought the freeze track might help.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

s

Post by jeddypoo » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:51 am

no, but thanks all, I already know how to do all that. I DIDN'T know that in Pro 7 the sample edit window will run audio suite plugs if I have them installed already, however. My function toolbar in sample edit shows no plugs, so I assumed it couldn't be done. So basically, I have to get some Audio Suite plugs, is that what I'm to learn?

Thanks for the help guys- I guess I didn't make the question very clear. I wasn't asking about freezing tracks, I was asking about printing effects and plugs on specific sections of a track, like one would in an Audio Editing app such as peak or Audacity or Sound Studio. It seemed like a major function to not have.

So anyone got any Audio Suite plugs they want to recommend?

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:26 am

man, do i never print effects to specific parts of tracks. seems like an odd way to work to me, but you know... we all work differentlly. i just put the plugs on the tracks, automate and freeze if i run out of CPU.

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:22 am

me either. that's probably why the question stumped me so much. I have used copies of the .aiff files from a freeze track back into logic, when there is a flaky plug or soft synth in there, so that I at least have audio of what I was recording.

On a sidenote, I had to go back to OS9 logic platinum 4.8 last night to do something (which I haven't done in forever), and man, OSX and the newer versions of Logic are soooo much easier to deal with. I must have had a complete freeze 3 times in the span of an hour, and all of these things I take for granted weren't available.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

d

Post by jeddypoo » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:42 am

It's for specific sections where I'd want some sort of delay tag or maybe a little flourish of chorus or something. I find it a pain in the ass to automate that crap in Logic. It's not something I do all the time, but it IS something I've done many times.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:23 pm

I had logic, and though I thought I would never need to effect parts of tracks, there were a bunch of times I wished I'd had the ability.

For all the great flexibility of recording w/o eq, comp, etc...I think it's a pretty fantastic thing to work destructively. It definitely keeps you moving. That is, if people aren't paying or whatever.

In any case, in Logic I'm almost positive you're limited to the logic plugs in the sample edit window unless you have audiosuite. Just reverse EVERYTHING. :)

kelly

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

d

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:26 pm

but wait, I'm not even SEEING plugs appear in the sample edit window. I'm just seeing invert, reverse, silence, and those sorts of things.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:55 pm

yeah, sorry, those were the ones I was talking about...

sucks.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

e

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:26 pm

Oh well. The beta version of Audacity 1.3 WILL read AUs, which is cool, because I can do that stuff in there and then export it to Logic, but Logic really SHOULD come with that capability.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:20 am

totally. although, i wish PT had the sample edit window...you win some/lose some...

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

e

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:26 am

yeah, it's like PT and Logic are in a conspiracy together to make us spend money on both of them.