Piezoelectric sensors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Piezoelectric sensors

Post by Ivon » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:16 pm

I'm doing some work on a Yamaha DTX drum kit, and the kick drum pad uses a piezoelectric plate sensor to produce sound. Basically, I just need to correctly solder the wires back to the plate. There is a red and a white wire. I'm not familiar with piezoelectronic wiring at all. Is the white representing neutral, in this case (like it usually does)?

What I have is this:

I'm assuming one wire gets soldered to the gold ring, while the other is connected to the middle, silver ring. Is this right? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:33 pm

I wired a piezo once the way you describe, and that worked. I wired the negative wire (I'm guessing white in this case) to the gold part. The only thing I should mention is that the metal on the silver part was very thin, so if the wire moved much, the solder joint would pull up a small part of the silver stuff. I compensated this by taping the wires down after soldering, so they wouldn't ever move.

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:14 pm

space_ryerson wrote:I wired a piezo once the way you describe, and that worked. I wired the negative wire (I'm guessing white in this case) to the gold part. The only thing I should mention is that the metal on the silver part was very thin, so if the wire moved much, the solder joint would pull up a small part of the silver stuff. I compensated this by taping the wires down after soldering, so they wouldn't ever move.
Thank you! I'll give that a go, and see what happens.

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:18 pm

So. I fixed the the DTX kick drum. I connected the red wire to the silver and just taped up the white wire. The kick pad wouldn't sound when the white wire was connected to anything. What was it's purpose? I don't know.

I do know that the kick pad now functions better than it ever has since I purchased it used, last spring. It used to miss a lot of notes...now it sounds every time that pad is struck. Pretty sweet. Just a bad connection is all.