I want to re-wire my whole studio!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Marlowe
gettin' sounds

I want to re-wire my whole studio!

Post by Marlowe » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:43 am

I have a pro tools based studio that has a load of outboard gear. Everything is now hooked up to two 1/4" patchbays, one balanced, one unbalanced. The back of the gear racks looks like an explosion at a cable factory... everytime I go back there to straighten it out I get scared and get the hell out of there. In addition to all of this, I recently got a hum/buzz thing going that appeared a few months ago and I have no idea why it's there.

I guess my question is what's the best way to tame this beast and hopefully track down and eliminate the noise? Is there something I can do to make the wiring more managable? How the hell do I keep power and signal cables away from each other in such a tight space? Where do I begin?

Marlowe

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:21 am

Snakes. Lots of them.

You can get custom, high quality snakes for cheap at http://redco.com I bought a bunch of 8 channel, 2' length snakes, and I can finally see the back of my racks. Best $400 investment I've ever made. BTW, the TGS brand (their own) sounds great for a lot less than Mogami et al.

If you have more time than money, you can order all of the parts at redco and solder them yourself.[/url]

antonlamont45
gettin' sounds

Post by antonlamont45 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:44 am

snakes are a good idea but expensive. cable ties are a cheaper solution; tie bunches of cables together like a snake if possible. also, get those little plastic anchors that you can tie the cables ties to:

http://www.connectworld.net/bulkcable/b ... ure16.html

i run all my audio cables off the floor, under tables etc, while the power cables all do down to the ground.

when rewiring everything, with the mixer and speakers on, connect one thing at a time (patch it in to the mixer) until you hear a buzz. then you will know the offending piece of gear. this is the best way to locate the buzz. i am about to do it n my own studio as i have just rewired everything.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:56 am

Oh, how I miss the days when I was content with my cassette 4-track, one cassette that I kept reusing, two stompboxes, a no-name dynamic mic, and a bunch of worn-out guitar picks. There was not much hum then but I remember a lot of squeal from the tape rollers. Now everything is hum hum hum.

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:12 am

Definitely go with snakes! I will also second using Redco, they are really great! I use only Mogami cable, but I have heard that their "house brand" cable works well. I used to solder all my own, mainly because I want it done right, but the older I get, the less I feel like soldering! So basically, I just say "screw it" and have them pre-made nowadays.
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:37 am

when making snakes be careful that your fan out is the right size..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:42 am

oh yeah the fan out is the actual physical way the ends off the snake fan out to reach the ins and outs your connecting..a typical fanout might be 19" or so due to uor 19" rack standard..

Marlowe
gettin' sounds

Post by Marlowe » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:09 pm

Thanks everyone... I think the snake scenario is the way to go. Sounds easy and simple.

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:03 am

Marlowe wrote:Sounds easy and simple.
Well, I wouldn't go *that* far, but it does make things a lot neater behind the rack. As mentioned, they can get expensive, and if you have to make them yourself, they are a real pain.

In the end though, they are the best solution.

Good luck!
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra