G5 optical audio in and s/pdif

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

these_go211
pushin' record

G5 optical audio in and s/pdif

Post by these_go211 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:41 am

is anyone here using the mac's optical audio in to record? from the apple site it says this about the optical audio in on a G5:
"Optical Audio Ports
The specifications for these ports are:
Data format: Sony/Phillips Digital Interface (S/PDIF) protocol (IEC60958-3)
Connector type: Toslink optical (IEC60874-17)
Bits per sample: 16-bit or 24-bit"

i ask this because currently as a neophyte recording musician i use an mbox with protools le. i know that the preamps and d/a convertors on the mbox are lacking. i guess i just want to see if anyone here has used the s/pdif out on a preamp/d-a convertor box (like on an apogee or something) to go into the mac. then you'd be free to use any number of software recording programs. i'm wondering if there are any disadvantages to this or maybe some simple thing i'm overlooking with this approach. ? thanks so much for the help/advice!
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:23 am

no takers eh.... ?

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:24 am

I have no experience with the in/out g5 dig. connection, but I'm assuming it comes up in your audio devices configuration. Configure sound by selecting them as default inputs/outputs, and any any application that uses core audio will be good to go. Don't know about clocking, but I'm assuming the outboard box will do it? Dunno.

kb

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:45 am

The preamps in the Mbox are actually pretty decent. You can bypass the unit as you say by using the S/PDIF input ports on it if you want to use something like an Apogee; and you can actually slave the Mbox to the clock signal from the Apogee by setting the clock to "external, S/PDIF". This will make the Mbox converters perform better.

You could ditch the Mbox and go straight in the port on the G5 from something like an Apogee; but at that point you wouldn't be able to run PT so you'd need a different tracking/editing program as well.

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:20 pm

thanks guys! i knew you could use the s/pdif on the mbox to bypass the preamps. the thing about the mbox is that it always has to be attached to be able to do any mixing. i think this kind if sucks. if i did upgrade to a mini-me it would be nice to bypass the mbox completely and then i'd be free to use another software program to record and mix. i also have a laptop and it would be nice to copy sessions over to it and be able to work on mixes from the road without always needing the mbox to be dangling off of the laptop.

i was just curious if anyone was doing such a thing and if there are any "gotchas" to it. i have emails in with mercenary audio and apogee but haven't heard from them yet. i was looking for some real world answers :) thanks again.