For kicks! (An old song.)

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

evan
buyin' gear

For kicks! (An old song.)

Post by evan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:18 am

I did this a few months ago, over the summer. Other than the way the bass was recorded (sounds a bit small, doesn't it?), I was really happy with how it turned out. I hadn't really recorded drums much, so this was one of my first deliberate attempts (rather than a hasty attempt). And I did it in (gasp!) 16-bit, with built-in ADC's, 2 tracks at a time.

http://saucysauce.com/Little_Angry_-_Ca ... Pianos.mp3

Also, for fun I covered Wire. I didn't pay as much attention to how it sounded.

http://saucysauce.com/Little_Angry_-_Th ... Rhumba.mp3

tonyoci
studio intern

Post by tonyoci » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:54 pm

I generally like Cars but you let the instruments overwhelm the voice too much and it's to short.

The other one is not as appealing and still have the vocal level problem. You probably need to put some processing on the vocals to make them stand out.

Tony

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:24 pm

I've never noticed the instruments competing with the vocals, since they're so sparse in the parts where there's the lead. And all my work is pretty short. It's a pop song, and my aspirations were modest.

As for the other one, what can I say? I just wanted to play it well, and wasn't concerned with how I was recording it so much. I also didn't have my reference cans either, so it was mixed rather badly on very cheap computer speakers.

tonyoci
studio intern

Post by tonyoci » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:42 am

Hey evan, no need to be defensive. You asked for feedback and I gave it. If I don't like the song that's just up to me, if I have comments on the mix you need to decide if they're worth listening to.

When I post songs I always listen to the feedback good and bad but make my decisions on what to do . the only thing I ignore are comments on my singing cause I can't do much about that :D

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:58 pm

I like 'em both. The snare is crackalackin'. Love that. And the guitar intro on the second one is awesome, and I love the verb. Is it a real room sound?
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...