What Did You Work On Today? 12-7-05

Post by cgarges » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:11 pm

So, let's hear it...

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:36 pm

Been recording an album for myself. Worked on a track called Ampersands. Spread out the groove a couple iterations worth and then subtracted portions. Mutiple doumbek tracks together work much more nicely than I thought they would.

This was last evening, but it was after midnight, so it technically counts as the 7th.

Need to record tracks towards the B-part. Gonna have to wait for the weekend, though, cuz I have to record drum parts. Wifey doesn't like it so well when I do so after midnight. =%>

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:41 pm

I'll try and carve out a few minutes to track a bassline for a demo I'm working on with a friend in Virginia. I'm finding that my Audix D6 gives this insane, suboctave rumble when I put right up on my SWR.
I just got a sennheiser e609, so I'll probably slap that up on the guitar amp and see how it sounds.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:22 pm

Listening to mastering tests of the New Dub trio record, waiting to get the 4 channels back from Purple audio that have a new twist on them for my custom console.... Getting into the pre's now...Should be sickening. We will have 26 custom mic pre's living in the console if these four turn out well...

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:38 pm

Tracked a three piece indie-spazz-metal band with songs that averaged 1.25 minutes. All live and tons of bleed. A ton of fun.

Of course, I gave them "all faders up" roughs, and they said they're going to myspace them. Oh well. I know they're coming back...

Also got the manufactured discs back for my band's CD. Woohoo!

Karlos the Jackal
ass engineer

Post by Karlos the Jackal » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:11 pm

I bought a used Boss DR-202 drum machine and I'm going to download a manual and hook it up and just make sure that all the buttons work and that the MIDI goes in and out.

That's probably it unless I'm inexplicably inspired.

--K

davedarling
studio intern

Post by davedarling » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:43 pm

installed toe kick moulding in my hallway, and taught my nephew the joys of an
RE-20 on a Vox AC-30.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:21 pm

Lugged my custom Home Depot rolling rack out to a high school chorus concert. Brisk breeezy air tonight, those of you in the Northeast know what I mean!

I've taken to setting up, whatever the show, a room mic with my finest pre (Grace) through one of my best mics (Groove Tubes GT-55) and back in Digital Performer, I run that track into a reverb aux that more or less simulates the hall we were in... and you know what, it really sounds good. I feel like, this is so phony, this is doctored, but hey, all's fair, right? I am the part of the chain that gets to decide what's what.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:35 pm

I worked on overdubs for the new Backyard Tire Fire record. Today included to heavy guitar part, a background vocal, some shakers, bunch of synth stuff from my new (to me) MicroKorg and dropping an amp for the 'reverb explosion.'

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:15 pm

Edited bowed bass guitar tracks for a tune on my record, worked nicely and moved onto percussion.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:45 am

Today, I went in on my free time to shadow the assistant in studio A so I can start getting more familiar with the room. I basically figured I'd do all the work and just let the assistant be there to cover my ass. Well, there was a last minute booking and he needed to go into studioB, which put me on the clock and on my first solo gig in A. A simple piano/vocal/cello job with not too much too worry about, so it's the perfect first gig in that room.

And just when I was thinking "A dozen more of these little sessions and I'll feel better about a bigger one", the manager tells me she is throwing me in on a major string date tomorrow, with some very serious clients. I guess that's what they call getting "thrown into the fire", but I seem to always do better that way anyhow. See the "goals for 2006" thread- I basically achieved one a few weeks early.

Just don't make me do a simpsons session anytime too soon. :shock:

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:00 am

Actually got some sleep for once. Been working for the last 5 days on the setup and recording of a big, local show called ArRange. Pretty cool concert at the opera hall. There was a live band, DJ's, and a 40 piece orchestra. And to top it off, some amazingly talented conductor/arrangers keeping it all together. I got to work with Bob Power, who is a talent and a gentleman. Plus, all the Red Bull I could drink. Sweet gig overall. I wish I had one of these every month.