Digi 002r output distortion...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

E-Rock
pushin' record

Digi 002r output distortion...

Post by E-Rock » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:26 pm

OK, so my 002r may have a problem.
I've noticed that anything I play out of the Monitor outs, if it is really hot, it seems to clip the output. This is true for anything I mix, or current "mastered" cd's etc..
If I play older recordings that are not mastered to full scale, no distortion. All of my 60's and 70's stuff sounds fine. Foo Fighter... not so fine.
I don't have tons of electronics experience, but I'm guessing it is an opamp or something. :?
The other outs seem to be fine. Anyone else have this problem?
Please tell me I don't need to deal with Digi on this :)

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:37 pm

Anyone???
:lol:

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Digi 002r output distortion...

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:39 pm

E-Rock wrote:OK, so my 002r may have a problem.
I've noticed that anything I play out of the Monitor outs, if it is really hot, it seems to clip the output. This is true for anything I mix, or current "mastered" cd's etc..
If I play older recordings that are not mastered to full scale, no distortion. All of my 60's and 70's stuff sounds fine. Foo Fighter... not so fine.
I don't have tons of electronics experience, but I'm guessing it is an opamp or something. :?
The other outs seem to be fine. Anyone else have this problem?
Please tell me I don't need to deal with Digi on this :)
I dont really understand what you are asking. If i record something way to hot to anything, it distorts. If you turn it down, does it sound normal to you again?

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:45 pm

Sorry, let me try this again.
I have no red clip lights going on in ProTools. All my levels are good.
If my 2-mix starts to go over -3, I get distortion. But only in the Monitor out.
If I just patch the 2 mix out, it sounds fine. If I bounce to disk, it sounds fine.
If I just listen out of the Monitor outs of the 002, patched to my power amp, then to my monitors, it is distorted.
Also, if I'm just listening to I-Tunes, going thru the Digi Core Driver, same thing.
My older stuff (Aretha, Meters, etc) sounds great. If I play something like the FooFighters, or anything mastered REALLY LOUD, I get distortion on the output.
I was thinking maybe my 002 "Monitor out" was fried.