Enough Claptonbashin' let's praise Roy Orbison!

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:32 pm

hammertime wrote:What egregious, execrable, hoky poky fucking horse manure for a bunch of clueless, tired old white people that live in the middle of nowhere. You guys are a riot. Roy Orbison, ha ha ha ha.
Okay, I get it. If I like Roy Orbison, I'm a clueless, tired old white person living in the middle of nowhere. Wait...I'm supposed to not take that personally?

I really wish you could find it in you somewhere to recognize that people's tastes differ, that music is a subjective art form, and that it's perfectly valid for someone to enjoy music that falls outside of your extraordinarily narrow tastes. And if you feel you need to say you dislike something, fine. Whatever makes you feel good about yourself. You may find you don't get flamed as much if you back off a bit from language such as "egregious, execrable, hoky poky fucking horse manure." It kinda makes you sound like a bratty high school sophomore.

Though maybe you enjoy the attention. You do only seem to show up here to shit on people's parades.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:57 pm

How did you take me calling you a dipshit personal? Cause I didn't take being called a "clueless, tired, hilarious white guy" personally. So just shut up and give me a big ol' hug, Silly.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:15 pm

Here's my all-time favorite hammertime quote (in response to a "what do you do for work" thread):
A bunch of family members died, so it left me with alot of cash to do what ever I want, and treat people as I please, and not be a slave to some useless motherfucker.
I'm sure your dead family members are happy knowing that their generosity has allowed you to "treat people as you please". :roll:

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:28 pm

Useless Motherfucker
OK, but, this isn't helping either.
A spoiled user when not served is petulent. We know. Sad all that money couldn't get "happy", just judging those who've done better. Not nice. Send us some of that money, LOTS of it, and we'll be yes men too.
Harumph!

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:10 pm

John Jeffers wrote:Here's my all-time favorite hammertime quote (in response to a "what do you do for work" thread):
A bunch of family members died, so it left me with alot of cash to do what ever I want, and treat people as I please, and not be a slave to some useless motherfucker.
I'm sure your dead family members are happy knowing that their generosity has allowed you to "treat people as you please". :roll:
Crap! I started that thread.
Harumph!

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:56 pm

You guys are tired. The same old hoky baloney -- roy orbison, paul mccartney, some other lame can't play motherfuckers. I've had fun here, but I'm moving on, because I'm learning nothing from you worthless clowns, other than you can't handle someone not liking this played-out, white-bread shit. I'm not wasting anymore time on you sorry ass motherfuckers. Later.

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:05 pm

I wonder if Roy Orbison wrote the Pretty Woman riff. That right there is a sick riff. Am I right? Am I right?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:19 pm

hammertime wrote:You guys are tired. The same old hoky baloney -- roy orbison, paul mccartney, some other lame can't play motherfuckers. I've had fun here, but I'm moving on, because I'm learning nothing from you worthless clowns, other than you can't handle someone not liking this played-out, white-bread shit. I'm not wasting anymore time on you sorry ass motherfuckers. Later.
Oh, I can handle you not liking it plenty. What I have a problem with is you being a jerk about it. And I've said it before, and I'll say it again--you basically hate most of the artists the rest of the world thinks are fantastic, so let's have your list of brilliant players we should all adore.

What is it you hoped to learn here? That there were other people as immature as you? That your tastes are different from someone elses? I don't think I've ever seen you on a thread where you weren't just being a raving jagoff. You get out of a messageboard what you put into it.

Oh, by the way, hammer: I'm listening to a Creedence Clearwater Revival CD right now, really loud, and I fucking love it! So, you know, kiss my ass.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:41 pm

Is hammer really gone? I will hope that he has the honor to keep his word when he proclaims he is done with us.

Back to Roy: Yes, that is one sick riff in Pretty Woman. Honestly I don't even know whether he plays it himself. I sure like how the rhythm lopes along under the vocals during the verses. Marvelous.

Thanks for getting this Roy Orbison thread going again, TOMB!

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:47 pm

hammertime wrote:You guys are tired. The same old hoky baloney -- roy orbison, paul mccartney, some other lame can't play motherfuckers. I've had fun here, but I'm moving on, because blah blah blah blah blah
Can we get one of the mods to just ban this guy so he doesn't show up again? Trolls like this thrive off the negative attention, so I doubt he'll keep his promise unless someone keeps it for him.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:01 am

Guys, he's angry and upset that his family died and he needs to seek help. The money isn't making him happy, obviously, in fact he's angry with people he sees as authority and knowledge (parents, grandparents, older siblings). He wasn't ready for them to go and he could not save them or even get to say goodbye.
I've seen it before.
He leaves us before we leave him.:cry:
Hammertime, if your lurking around, you've got to get help. You'll ruin the rest of your life like this and it won't get better on its own, you'll just get used to the emptiness, anger and loneliness and the predictability that "nothing works".
Get Help Now.
Harumph!

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:23 am

I don't understand why/how anyone should feel so insulted by hammer's opinions. Really. It's funny, actually. I mean - you like something, someone else says it's crap and you're an idiot for liking it. Why feel threatened by that?
beware bee wear

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:41 am

It's not about feeling threatened, it's about keeping this board civil. If the trolls are allowed to run rampant, it's less appealing to hang around here. Do you really want to be on a message board where every fourth post is some asinine comment that offers nothing to the conversation?

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:53 am

John Jeffers wrote:It's not about feeling threatened, it's about keeping this board civil. If the trolls are allowed to run rampant, it's less appealing to hang around here. Do you really want to be on a message board where every fourth post is some asinine comment that offers nothing to the conversation?
It's offering just as much to the board as you or I are. For one thing, it gets everyone riled up. I think it's hilarious. I share some of hammer's opinions - I'm just not interested in debating them. So, I say nothing while some here go on and on about stuff I wouldn't wipe my ass with. Still, it's a free world (and messageboard), if ya don't like it, ignore it.
beware bee wear

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:35 am

joeysimms wrote:It's offering just as much to the board as you or I are. For one thing, it gets everyone riled up. I think it's hilarious. I share some of hammer's opinions - I'm just not interested in debating them. So, I say nothing while some here go on and on about stuff I wouldn't wipe my ass with. Still, it's a free world (and messageboard), if ya don't like it, ignore it.
Fair enough, Joey. It's a difference of opinion about what's valuable. I personally don't see any value in riling people up for no good reason. I'm not a fan of Roy Orbison either (or Clapton, for that matter), but there's a way to disagree tactfully, or just stay out of the conversation if you don't agree.

The TOMB has always been a great example of a productive message board with high S/N, and I trust the mods to keep it that way. So, I'm now going to take my own advice and shut up about it.