radial for axial caps

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

radial for axial caps

Post by gevermil » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:43 pm

are the leeds long enough on radial caps to use as axial ?
Id like to try the Nichicon pw series but no axials exist
Who makes comparable axial capacitors ?

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:01 pm

Depends on how far they have to reach.

You can always solder a small hookup wire on one end to extend it.

What values/voltages do you need?

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

Post by gevermil » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:31 pm

got another pair of theses old adm line amps
not the 770/780 stuff , I mean old .
the originals are sprague
50uf/25v
1oouf/25v
15v25v
250/3v ?
150mfd 50v
I recapped one of these already with xicons and sounds good
I want to experiment with some other caps but the old caps are gigantic compared to the new stuff .

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:53 pm

If you like the Nichicon series, get them and add some leads to them if you have to. Just put you some insulation on the bare wires.

Anytime you replace those old caps, even if you get axial, the smaller new ones don't always reach far enough and you have to extend them.

At those voltages you should be able to find those caps. You may have to use 47uf for some of the 50s but they shoud be avaliable in axial.

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:14 am

Oh, I think I know which ADM module you're talking about. I recapped some of those before. The exact same Sprague caps are still available new, the TE series. Cheapest at Alliedelec.com, otherwise try Mouser.com or Newark.com. Xicons suck, IMHO. My favorite are the BC AML 138 series of axial caps for recapping vintage stuff. Nichicon also makes decent axials which you can buy from Mouser.

To answer the original question, unless the hole spacing is particularly long radials will usually fit. Otherwise you just solder on some extensions. More often than not the problem with radial substitution is that they're too tall (and no room to bend over) or the exposed leads might short out a trace or something. The latter is easily avoided by putting teflon tubing over the leads, as such is standard practice. Remember when recapping that generally it's okay if uF values and voltage ratings on the new caps are higher than the originals, but not lower.

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:53 am

Ive used the Nichicon radials a lot on neve VR stuff, where axials were. In addition to what Mr. Hoof said about sleeving the exposed lead, I have found it good practice to try and always keep the positive lead as short as possible to avoid noise issues.