That riff in "Badge"...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Does it make up for all the junk that follows? "Wonderful Tonight"? Eesh.

Poll ended at Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:58 pm

Crap
No votes
Not Crap
100%

Total votes: 1

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

That riff in "Badge"...

Post by goldstar » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:54 pm

You know, that 2-3 bar bridge/turnaround thingy thru the Leslie before the vocal comes back in; for me, that secures Clapton's place in rock guitar history by itself.

Not Crap.

Anyone?

thereminman
takin' a dinner break

Post by thereminman » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:08 pm

and see, I thought that was George's contribution.

"Harry Georgisson" I think is how it is in the credits.
Very Fab.

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:12 pm

It does sound kinda Georgy, don't it? Wouldn't be the first time I got the details wrong.

Frank

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:22 pm

That would explain why it never sounds right when I try to play it through my prized Digitech Eric Clapton signature stompbox! They should make a stompbox that just plays a hi-fi sample of that guitar part over and over again as needed. Heck, EC himself could have used it at Madison Sq. Garden last month. BTW, did anybody notice whether he was using his Digitech pro series pedal at the Cream gigs?

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:06 am

Have I wandered onto the Electrical Audio forums by mistake? :shock:
WWRHS?

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:30 am

That was George's part, definitely. Great song - probably my favorite Cream song.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:08 pm

a) George may have played the riff, but Ringo named the song. Winner, Ringo.

2) "Wonderful Tonight" is classic in the same way that "Every Breath You Take" is classic--your average shmoe thinks it's a lovely, romantic song, when in fact it's about stalking (as in Every Breath) or being frustrated and annoyed with a woman who is in constant need of validation (in the case of WT). I love sneaky songs like that.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:22 am

Man, that's always been one of my favorite couple of seconds in rock history and one of the only cool things I thought Ginger Baker ever played.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:16 am

cgarges wrote:Man, that's always been one of my favorite couple of seconds in rock history and one of the only cool things I thought Ginger Baker ever played.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I was just drumming that part on the desk with my fingers as I was waiting for the page to load!

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:54 pm

cgarges wrote:Man, that's always been one of my favorite couple of seconds in rock history and one of the only cool things I thought Ginger Baker ever played.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
And the award for the most polite slam on the TOMB goes to...

Chris Garges

I cackled at full volume on that one!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:55 pm

Oh yeah, that part's totally George Harrison!

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:13 am

That is totally too hard to resist... what about the trio with Bill Frisell and Charlie Haden?

I can't forgive Eric Clapton, no matter what else he has done, for the mess that happens after "Layla", even if it is Duane Allman playing guitar.

b

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:49 pm

Brian Brock wrote:
I can't forgive Eric Clapton, no matter what else he has done, for the mess that happens after "Layla", even if it is Duane Allman playing guitar.

b
That was the drummer's fault, iirc.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:56 pm

Some rock/blues criticism I read somewhere (Robert Palmer maybe?) had some things to say about the original Layla: Namely, that EC innovated with Layla by taking the blues "feel" and those instruments someplace new, ie he found chords and a melody that felt and sounded like blues or bluesrock but didn't follow a trad blues progression. I thought that was an interesting take on Layla.

I credit EC with turning me on to the harder stuff, namely Buddy Guy, Albert Collins and so many others. I think many of us can credit him for that. When I was in tenth grade and Poison and Whitesnake were slithering around the top of the charts, old EC/Cream stuff was a good alternative. The EC solos, derivative or not, kept me fired up to keep learning more stuff on the guitar. Not that this makes me want to attend one of his concerts nowadays, nor does it mean that I still enjoy listening to three-minute EC solos. I'm just sayin'.

Marlowe
gettin' sounds

Post by Marlowe » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:51 am

The title came from Clapton. He was watching George writing the lyrics from across the table and read "Bridge" wrong (reading upside down) and asked George "What is that... Badge?".
dwlb wrote:a) George may have played the riff, but Ringo named the song. Winner, Ringo.