That riff in "Badge"...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Does it make up for all the junk that follows? "Wonderful Tonight"? Eesh.

Poll ended at Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:58 pm

Crap
No votes
Not Crap
100%

Total votes: 1

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:04 pm

Marlowe wrote:The title came from Clapton. He was watching George writing the lyrics from across the table and read "Bridge" wrong (reading upside down) and asked George "What is that... Badge?".
dwlb wrote:a) George may have played the riff, but Ringo named the song. Winner, Ringo.
I had misremembered the anecdote. If it were Clapton, I sit corrected. I do recall that Clapton credited Ringo with the "our kid...Married to Mabel" line.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:05 pm

Tatertot wrote: I credit EC with turning me on to the harder stuff, namely Buddy Guy, Albert Collins and so many others. I think many of us can credit him for that. When I was in tenth grade and Poison and Whitesnake were slithering around the top of the charts, old EC/Cream stuff was a good alternative. The EC solos, derivative or not, kept me fired up to keep learning more stuff on the guitar. Not that this makes me want to attend one of his concerts nowadays, nor does it mean that I still enjoy listening to three-minute EC solos. I'm just sayin'.
I definitely agree that Clapton was hugely important in the 1980s when every guitar magazine was filled with tips on how to play like C.C DeVille...saved a lot of guitar players, Clapton did.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:47 am

I think that Harrison helped write "badge" but I don't think he played on the recording.

as for the cream reunion, clapton had a real leslie on stage, along with a bunch of other cool looking old amps. my complaint about that whole thing was that he was using his signature strats, not gibsons. it just didn't sound right to me. too thin, for a trio.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:32 am

Again, as noted earlier, Eric Clapton is under contract to play strats. I suspect that Fender would arc out if he were seen with a Gibson.

But the big sarcastic question remains: Did he use his signature Digitech pedal at the Cream gigs? Anybody actually know the answer?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:22 am

Tatertot wrote:Again, as noted earlier, Eric Clapton is under contract to play strats. I suspect that Fender would arc out if he were seen with a Gibson.

But the big sarcastic question remains: Did he use his signature Digitech pedal at the Cream gigs? Anybody actually know the answer?
1) He's Eric Clapton and Fender would get over it. He played a 335 in the videos for that crappy "back to the blues" record a few years ago.

2) Fender makes guitars with humbuckers...he sould have got a few for the Cream gig.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:16 am

I agree about the humbuckers.

Still, what about that crazy Digitech pedal? Does he use it?

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:41 pm

cgarges wrote:Man, that's always been one of my favorite couple of seconds in rock history and one of the only cool things I thought Ginger Baker ever played.
if you dont get "sunrise on the suffer bus" Im gonna smack you in the head.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:15 am

soundguy wrote:
cgarges wrote:Man, that's always been one of my favorite couple of seconds in rock history and one of the only cool things I thought Ginger Baker ever played.
if you dont get "sunrise on the suffer bus" Im gonna smack you in the head.

dave
If you don't get that Garges is talking about the drum tacet while the chorused guitar plays by itself I'm gonna slap you with one of those little plastic bags SM57s come in.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:49 am

dwlb wrote:If you don't get that Garges is talking about the drum tacet while the chorused guitar plays by itself I'm gonna slap you with one of those little plastic bags SM57s come in.
Actually, I WAS talking about the fill, but that's damn funny, too!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:01 pm

cgarges wrote:
dwlb wrote:If you don't get that Garges is talking about the drum tacet while the chorused guitar plays by itself I'm gonna slap you with one of those little plastic bags SM57s come in.
Actually, I WAS talking about the fill, but that's damn funny, too!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

:D

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:24 pm

I've been searching high and low for a guitar that plays by itself