Electro Harmonix Tube EQ - anyone have an opinion?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Electro Harmonix Tube EQ - anyone have an opinion?

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:57 pm

thinking of getting one of these. i figure i could use it in a studio setting and for my guitar rig....

anyone have any pro's or con's to offer about it?
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:45 pm

Great box, but no balanced I/O. Super cool circuit, maybe Jc can shed some light on it. I know that the EQ uses optos (!!!!!) in the filter circuit. Totally unique way of filtering. Pretty amazing. Great components throughout. I have a weirdo one JC made that has an 8 step analog sequencer that modulates the mid freq sweep. We called it the "freak-cue." still do. Amazing box. I would love to see a version of that EQ designed for +4 with xformer I/O. (i am totally dreaming, but maybe I can get someone to put two pedals in a box with xformer I/O... hmm....)

The EQ is pretty amazing.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:25 pm

joel hamilton wrote:Great box, but no balanced I/O. Super cool circuit, maybe Jc can shed some light on it. I know that the EQ uses optos (!!!!!) in the filter circuit. Totally unique way of filtering. Pretty amazing. Great components throughout. I have a weirdo one JC made that has an 8 step analog sequencer that modulates the mid freq sweep. We called it the "freak-cue." still do. Amazing box. I would love to see a version of that EQ designed for +4 with xformer I/O. (i am totally dreaming, but maybe I can get someone to put two pedals in a box with xformer I/O... hmm....)

The EQ is pretty amazing.
HA! The Freak-cue....that was some funny shit. Joel's got so many nutty one-off things around the studio!

Joel....one day your place is totally going to be a paid admission Ripley's Believe It Or Not-type museum of funky audio and instrumentation!

heylow

analoghacker
alignin' 24-trk

Post by analoghacker » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:13 am

hey!
the electro-harmonix TUBE EQ is a powerful EQ circuit in a simple cheap format (same as the english muffin, blackfinger, wiggler, or 12AY7 mic pre). its pedal use conceals an unusual combination of active and passive eq that can do much more than might be casually apparent. it has passive bass and treble "shelving" section with make up gain and an active bandpass section with gain, Q, and frequency center. it also has a jack for plugging in an "expression pedal" to move the BP center (like a wah) or for use with CV (from a synth or computer/midi to CV converter). the Q is adjustable from a lowish 3 to about 100 (and oscillation). by combining the passive with the active, a large amount of frequency content can be controlled in subtle or obvious ways. turning off the passive controls and simply using the active BP can create all kinds of mayhem if thats what you're into. if you have 2 extra passive DI boxes, you can connect this into your balanced system and give some very expensive EQ boxes a hard time. you will need a good sense of taste and ears, however, because none of the controls are calibrated or even repeatable in any precise manner. it will be up to the end user to decide the frequency content of the effect. the bypass footswitch is helpful in making subtle adjustments.

instead of using inductors, gyrator circuits, RC networks, (the standard approaches...) this circuit uses a detuned "twin T" network to achieve both a varible center and variable Q. this network is put into the feedback network of a tube cascode stage to get good gain and noise performance. as far as i know, no one has ever made a commercial circuit like this, although my brilliant and much loved co-engineer and dear friend, anthony barmentloo, has done something similiar with an original and very clever (patented) design. in any case, we think it sounds good. try it out and let us know!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:27 am

Thanks JC, as always.