Upgrading Software.. Need Help.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Upgrading Software.. Need Help.

Post by MikeCzech » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:39 am

I've been using Cool Edit Pro for YEARS!!! I've just gotten used to it, my philosophy, for the most part has been this: focus on getting a good sound into the box, the software doesn't matter, as long as you know how to use it.. I know a lot of people disagree, so sell me on something.

Cool Edit has just been causing too many problems lately, and there are new features I would like to have in my tool belt, mainly the ability to mix in 5.1. It would be nice if there was something to correct latencty problems with the MOTU 2408, but I've found ways to manage that.

I like the Band Pass filters in Cool Edit, and the Parametric EQ's are better than most plugin's I've heard, but I don't reall use any of the other built in features.

I need 64 tracks, I'd like to do video scores, but not important right now.

So I've pondered Vegas, but I don't even know if this has the capability of multitrack recording..

Nuendo, but a little pricey, is it really worth it? Does it require proprietary hardware?

And of course the little brothers Cubase and Sound Forge.. Surround sound on either of those? Are they pretty stable? Does sound forge do multitrack?

Any other recommendations?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:04 am

cubase SX is just fine if you're doing MOSTLY music production. If you're getting waaay into film post production, then maybe Nuendo would be better.
Cubase does surround up to something like 11.1 or some ridiculous nonsense.

I've used Cubase, DP, and PTLE.

I like them all.

I like Cubase the best because it's what I learned on and what I've used the longest. but, if I have to work in DP or PT, I don't complain. It just takes me a little longer to figure things out.

Most of them have the same or very similar feature sets. They just refer to things differently.

I'd love to have a Cubase -> PT dictionary!! ;)

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:35 pm

Have you considered Sonar? I think does everything you are asking except for addressing your MOTU latency issue, and I don't think any DAW is going to fix the problem that I'm guessing you're having.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:43 pm

I love my CEP.

That said, I thought that Adobe Audition graduated to 5.1?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.