MBOX + Pro tools 6.4 by Digidesign

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

keelah
audio school graduate

MBOX + Pro tools 6.4 by Digidesign

Post by keelah » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:41 pm

MBOX + Pro tools 6.4 by Digidesign:

is this combo all i need to hook up mics, an mpc & shit and open up shop?
to accompany this powerbook G4 & yamaha NS 10M monitors...

actually the monitors have regular stair copper wire hook ups, so i need to figure out how to connect them to the computer to.

...and will the mbox remain fully operational with newer software?

many many thanks
:::rock SAUCE!:::
-1Luv/no H8-

live band hip hop: www.small-change.net

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Post by Sean Shannon » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:19 am

I believe the M Box is still supported with the latest Pro Tools releases. As far as the NS10s, send the M Box outs to a power amp, then to the NS10s. I'm not sure what you mean by "open up shop", but you most likely will need other equipment besides a power amp, like mics, cables, stands, headphone amps, headphones, a good compressor, etc. to open up "shop". Working by yourself, you probably can get away with much less.
Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:07 am

Yep, and remember the Mbox is limited to two channels of input for tracking; so make sure you can work with that in what you're planning to do.

cvanwinkle
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cvanwinkle » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:22 pm

Sean Shannon wrote:I believe the M Box is still supported with the latest Pro Tools releases.
The (original) MBox does works just fine with Pro Tools 7.0. However, I doubt that they'll be supporting it for much longer now that they have the MBox2 (I'm predicting a similar fate to the 001). That and their (Digidesign's) relationship with Focusrite went sour a while ago...

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Post by Sean Shannon » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:01 pm

cvanwinkle wrote:The (original) MBox does works just fine with Pro Tools 7.0. However, I doubt that they'll be supporting it for much longer now that they have the MBox2 (I'm predicting a similar fate to the 001). That and their (Digidesign's) relationship with Focusrite went sour a while ago...
Be careful with that advice. Digi says the 001 was discontinued because it was a PCI card-based LE system. Both the M Box and the M Box2 are USB 1.0 devices, and therefore they have no reason to discontinue software support, they just don't make them anymore.
Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com