Working with latency

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

surf's up
pushin' record

Working with latency

Post by surf's up » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:11 pm

Another thread in another forum (relating to phase relationships in drum micing) got me thinking about latency and how to deal with it. The post dealt with manually delaying close mic sources to make them more phase coherent with distant mics.

Im working in Cubase and I tried this out just a really rough test of it and it seemed to provide some promising results, but it also got me thinking about how much DAW latency may be holding back my recordings from getting better. Cubase tells you how much input and output latency you will experience as you choose the buffer size. I typically work with 256 samples: ~7 ms of latency. I was thinking I could manually slip the audio files back by this amount after I record them to ensure their unity with the master click track (I record a metronome to an audio track for this purpose).

Also, due to gear limitations and to some extent stubborness, I apply effects by running them through a hardware processor and then recording them onto new audio tracks, as opposed to sends or inserts. So by the end of a mix, my snare track could have been re-precorded into cubase 3-4 times over depending on the effects, and accumlating a lot of latency in the process!

So I guess my main questions are what is an acceptable amount of latency? How many of you do some form of latency correction to your tracks? And how do you really know if youre getting it right? This seems like the kind of thing where 'use your ears' doesnt really apply and there needs to be an established calculus. I also think there is an auto-correcter in cubase but i am weary to use it and i dont really know how to set it correctly.

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:48 pm

In my opinion, there is no exceptable amount of latency.

Latency=an increse in phase angle refrenced to every other track your running with.

Cuebase should have a "slip" or "slide" function that will allow you to manualy "slip" your track back in time to compensate for the 7ms of delay when processing a signal via external device.

Its a bitch to do this every time, but I think thats your only option.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:24 pm

I agree with Ben (sonicmook).
There is no amount of latency that is acceptable.... BUT: if all of your inputs have the same amount of latency, it shouldnt really be a phase issue happening, as the relationship remains intact, just [your latency figure] later.

This is in reference to a multi mic setup on somethiing like drums.

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Post by MikeCzech » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:51 pm

With my MOTU, latency varies depending on the number of tracks in use. I've wasted countless hours muddying up recordings trying to fix latency until I figured out this little technique that's seems all too simple.

I always run a track (like a click, or bass drum, or whatever - something easy to distinguish) straight out, then back in through a spare channel on my setup, then just line it up with the original. It doesn't take more than a few seconds to get precisely lined up right down to the bit.

It wastes a channel, but hell, go buy a behringer ADA.. It was under $300, and comes in nicely when you need a few extra not-so important tracks - and to be honest, I've gotten some decent sounds with it.. It's one of those things I use as a last resort and I find myself saying "Damn, that actually sounds pretty good".. Oh well, another story..

I just always keep channel 8 on my motu to channel 8 on the behringer ADA unit, and route whatever seems convenient. I group it with the tracks I record each time, line it up, and wa-la!

So yeah, about $250, a few extra channels, and a not-much-hassel for latency free recordings.