New Home Studio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

New Home Studio

Post by exit2studios » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:26 am

The good, the bad and the ugly:

Good: The wife and I have decided to put an offer on house. I will once again have my own "space" and no longer have to rely on keeping everything portable and out of site when not recording or mixing.

Bad: The gameroom that gets to be mine is 14' x 14' (8' cielings) with builtins on the back wall and windows along the entire right wall.

Ugly: The wife has not given me the green light to do any major construction, etc. and the room does have to serve as multi-purpose, etc.

So basically, my plans for a dream studio are still in a holding pattern. However, I'm excited to finally have a place to call home for a while. I've pretty much decided I have no choice but to have one room. I'm also guessing that the bulk of my recording will have to be done elsewhere, so I guess that leaves mixing and maybe recording of vocals and acoutic instruments for this space. I do have direct access to the attic from this room, so I'm thinking I might be able to come up with something creative there for recording amps, etc.

The other caveat is that this room has to also serve as a bit of a gameroom/media room as well.

Any suggestions on how to tame these horrible room measurments to make this useable?

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:30 am

build an assymetrical 'closet' across one side, so you lose a set of paralell walls. and then you also have a room to keep gear out of the way when it's 'multi purpose'... i've found that one asymetrical wall can make a HUGE difference in the sound of a room. then maybe treat the remaining pair with a bookcase full of books and records and stuff as a diffusor behind you... i dunno. that's what i'd try.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:23 pm

toaster3000 wrote:build an assymetrical 'closet' across one side, so you lose a set of paralell walls.
john
When you say an assymetrical closet you mean without 90 degree angles? Would a single partition with a door cutting across a corner work? May have to give that a shot.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:19 pm

toaster3000 wrote:build an assymetrical 'closet' across one side, so you lose a set of paralell walls. and then you also have a room to keep gear out of the way when it's 'multi purpose'... i've found that one asymetrical wall can make a HUGE difference in the sound of a room. then maybe treat the remaining pair with a bookcase full of books and records and stuff as a diffusor behind you... i dunno. that's what i'd try.
john
whoa. great idea. must remember when i buy a house. you could also make the wall very "absorby" and stuffed with corning with a sort of fake face of material.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:01 pm

Congrats on the house!
How much gear are we talkin' here?
If it's not too much... some custom cabinetry to "hide" the gear during multi-purpose times might do the trick - think small-scale in the Moby-studio sense?
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Jim_Boulter
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jim_Boulter » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:07 pm

Don't know how multi-purpose you're talking, but it sounds like a good place for a ping pong table to me. When you fold it up and roll it out of the way, the baffles you have strategically placed on the bottom make a great bogo for further altering the space when recording. :lol:

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

ping pong

Post by exit2studios » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:32 pm

Jim_Boulter wrote:Don't know how multi-purpose you're talking, but it sounds like a good place for a ping pong table to me.
By multi-purpose I really just mean a place for the kids to play a little game cube and watch a movie from time to time. Not a big fan of ping pong (except for delay) so probably won't go that route.

I like the idea of the closet. How subtle an angle could I get away with. I think maybe that and some bass traps might do the trick? So am I dealing with a useable square room?

Some good ideas so far, keep em coming!