Imposing self-imposed limits on engineers

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

aeijtzsche
gettin' sounds

Imposing self-imposed limits on engineers

Post by aeijtzsche » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:37 am

I think it was Stravinsky who said something along the lines of "creativity comes from limitation" or something.

Whoever it was, sometimes when recording at home, I set limits on what I'm "allowed" to do for certain tracks I'm working on.

For instance, sometimes I'm not allowed to use any plug-ins, or maybe for one track, I'm not allowed to use a bass guitar. Or I'll limit myself to only three overdubs.

Now, let's say I finally save enough money to afford to cut a song or two in a really nice local studio.

If I came to your studio and said something like "For this song, I'd like to pretend we only have access to a four track, and we can only bounce down twice" and then brought in a 16-piece band that I wanted to track pretty much live, would you be offended, annoyed, or interested in a challenge?

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:49 am

I think having some rational behind the constraints would make me a more willing to take on the challenege. For example, you might want to use a limited number of tracks because you believe that will result in a more live and organic feeling album. Asking the engineer to mix the whole album while only standing on his left leg, with no explanation probably won't go over too well. If you tell him it's because you want to be forced to make a lightening fast album based completely on snap decisions, then he might get the concept but I'd tell you there are better and less annoying ways to achive that.

aeijtzsche
gettin' sounds

Post by aeijtzsche » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:54 am

For example, you might want to use a limited number of tracks because you believe that will result in a more live and organic feeling album.
Well, yeah, that's why I'd do that particular limitation. I'd definitely be sure to give the rationale for everything.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:58 am

I believe there's a quote that's attributed to Brian Eno, something to the effect of "If you need more than 8 tracks, it means you can't make up your mind."

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:30 am

If there's a reason beyond "The Beatles only had four tracks," I'd be really into it. Part of what I like about my set-up is that I have 24 tracks. Anaolg or digital, that's what I got. Plus I leave one for time code on the tape machine or two tracks on the RADAR to mix to.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:43 am

Watch the film "the five obstructions" for more on this topic.

I'm a big fan of experimental-ish techniques like imposing odd limitations or boundaries on the process, just make sure that when you're paying for studio time your limitations are providing a good creative result rather than simply costing you time and money as you try to figure out ways around your self-imposed hurdles.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:44 am

Now you know they only had for tracks because that's all there were at the time and The Beatles owned all four of them. It forced them to make decisions about their songwriting in "pre-production" which worked out for them better than any of them ever thought it would. Hmmmmm.
There seems to be a BIG avoidance of pre-production willingness on this board, as if, all albums are created in the studio, which they are not. They are recorded in the studio. Some may be created in the artists minds WHILE they're in the studio.
Harumph!

aeijtzsche
gettin' sounds

Post by aeijtzsche » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:49 am

Watch the film "the five obstructions" for more on this topic.
That's actually partly where the crystallization of my ideas came from, watching that film.

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Imposing self-imposed limits on engineers

Post by cgarges » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:27 pm

aeijtzsche wrote:If I came to your studio and said something like "For this song, I'd like to pretend we only have access to a four track, and we can only bounce down twice" and then brought in a 16-piece band that I wanted to track pretty much live, would you be offended, annoyed, or interested in a challenge?
If you were paying me a for a service, I'd be all about you wanted to achieve while you were paying me. However, between you and me, I'd love for someone to come in and say something like that.

Some of may favorite challenges have been (and take "favorites" as you will):
Doing whatever the band's lawyer though should happen in the mix (via MP3).
Spending 68.33% of the band's total recording budget editing (for those who know the story, YES, I did the math!).
Recording ALL of a 14-song album in 8 hours.
Recording ALL of a 7-song album in AN HOUR! (Both of those were actually REALLY, REALLY good records.)
Make a modern-sounding record on this 40-input console with 23 channels working properly.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:47 am

cgarges wrote:
aeijtzsche wrote:If I came to your studio and said something like "For this song, I'd like to pretend we only have access to a four track, and we can only bounce down twice" and then brought in a 16-piece band that I wanted to track pretty much live, would you be offended, annoyed, or interested in a challenge?
If you were paying me a for a service, I'd be all about you wanted to achieve while you were paying me. However, between you and me, I'd love for someone to come in and say something like that.

Some of may favorite challenges have been (and take "favorites" as you will):
Doing whatever the band's lawyer though should happen in the mix (via MP3).
Spending 68.33% of the band's total recording budget editing (for those who know the story, YES, I did the math!).
Recording ALL of a 14-song album in 8 hours.
Recording ALL of a 7-song album in AN HOUR! (Both of those were actually REALLY, REALLY good records.)
Make a modern-sounding record on this 40-input console with 23 channels working properly.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I couldn't edit a word of that, frikkin priceless!!! :shock: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :alien:
Harumph!

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:56 am

People need different situations to float their creative boats. I try my best to comply.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:13 pm

aeijtzsche wrote:I think it was Stravinsky who said something along the lines of "creativity comes from limitation" or something.

Whoever it was, sometimes when recording at home, I set limits on what I'm "allowed" to do for certain tracks I'm working on.

For instance, sometimes I'm not allowed to use any plug-ins, or maybe for one track, I'm not allowed to use a bass guitar. Or I'll limit myself to only three overdubs.

Now, let's say I finally save enough money to afford to cut a song or two in a really nice local studio.

If I came to your studio and said something like "For this song, I'd like to pretend we only have access to a four track, and we can only bounce down twice" and then brought in a 16-piece band that I wanted to track pretty much live, would you be offended, annoyed, or interested in a challenge?
I like that... and in fact I do that (in my own mind) for each client I work with. I'll get bored with the norm and try to set limits. I find it makes for a better recording in the long run but it really depends on the situation/artist, sometimes.

I don't announce it to the band but it's more like, certain goals I set for myself in order to keep myself in-check. Considering what I know I can do with the options I have over the last X amount of years I find better end results with less options.

That's why I've been downsizing for the last 10 years... it keeps me on my toes :)

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:35 pm

IMO, Stravinsky's stuff got increasingly boring as he became more and more mesmerized by the concept of creative constraint in his later years. Somehow through his sheer beating of the topic to death he became the poster boy for constraint by the time he croaked, but his really bitchen earlier stuff was pretty much all over the map. That's how it seems to me.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:18 pm

cgarges wrote:Spending 68.33% of the band's total recording budget editing (for those who know the story, YES, I did the math!).

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's the funniest (and maybe saddest) things I've ever heard you say!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:39 pm

drumsound wrote:That's the funniest (and maybe saddest) things I've ever heard you say!
Another friend of mine said, "Aw man, I bet you're sorry you did THAT."

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC