Wow! Listen to Patsy's "Crazy" for shaker...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Wow! Listen to Patsy's "Crazy" for shaker...

Post by Mr PC » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:11 pm

Boy, I am listening to "Crazy", and in the right speaker, I've zoomed in on the shaker performance. Holy shit!! I can't believe that there was ever a more spot-on performance of a percussion instrument. Not a single nano-second that was not right in the groove.

Give it a listen. It is crazy-gooooood.

I really think Patsy's recordings are some of the best ever made, from both a creative and recording point of view.

PC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:32 pm

Are you sure it's shaker? I don't have a copy of it here, but I'm pretty sure there's just brushes on the snare (8th-notes) and a side stick.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:33 pm

By the way, this belongs in "Listening."

CG

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:35 pm

Hey Chris, I guess this does belong in Listening.

But, I checked back, and it is a shaker. I'm listening to "Sweet Dreams", and the rhythm is coming from the brushes on snare, but on "Crazy" it is an amazingly well-played shaker-

Give it a listen--

Rock on-

PC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:18 pm

I've got it on right now and it's brushes and cross-stick.

And I'll move this to Listening.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:37 am

It's brushes on the snare.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:41 am

But more importantly it's Buddy Harman playing!

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:19 am

OK, I think we have established that I'm kookoo for Coco-Puffs.

How does the drummer hit the snare with the brush to get this? It is the broken-up/spread-out attack that had me thinking shakers.

Thanks for humoring me on this--

PC

:?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:27 am

Mr PC wrote:How does the drummer hit the snare with the brush to get this? It is the broken-up/spread-out attack that had me thinking shakers.
It's a bit of a sideways swipe when coming down on the drum. It's not difficult to do at all. (Not for me, at least.) Again, I don't have the tune in front of me, but this is how I did it when I played it on a sound-alike about four or five years ago. You can buy my rendition of this technique at WalMarts everywhere!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

stubenbaines
audio school graduate

Post by stubenbaines » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:02 am

This track is perfect and I love the early 60s Nashville sound. Another cool thing I've noticed on this track is what seems to be an old ghost vocal. You can hear it at various times during the songs when the lead vocal doesn't match up with it.

I've read that Patsy couldn't get the vocals right on the initial session due to broken ribs and she had to come back later to overdub the lead. I wonder if the ghost vocal you hear is the bleed from her original vocal.

Dennis
http://www.silentstereorecords.com/
http://silentstereorecords.blogspot.com/
------------------------------------------------
http://www.silentstereorecords.com
http://silentstereorecords.blogspot.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:33 am

stubenbaines wrote:This track is perfect and I love the early 60s Nashville sound. Another cool thing I've noticed on this track is what seems to be an old ghost vocal. You can hear it at various times during the songs when the lead vocal doesn't match up with it.
Yeah, especially in the gap at the end. Funny, because I remember hearing someone talk about what a great live, one-take vocal that was.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:08 pm

Willie Nelson wrote that song. If is BY FAR the number 1 jukebox song of all time, every decade on top. No royalties were ever paid to artists for jukebox airplay. Thus, Willie was doing Taco Bell ads in the 90's.
0x

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:08 pm

Mr PC wrote:OK, I think we have established that I'm kookoo for Coco-Puffs.

How does the drummer hit the snare with the brush to get this? It is the broken-up/spread-out attack that had me thinking shakers.

Thanks for humoring me on this--

PC

:?
Think of the way Ringo played the hihat on the Ed Sullivan show.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:18 pm

I have a theory that Willie Nelson will finally stop touring when he actually wears through his entire guitar front. It will probably happen onstage. The guitar tone will get duller and duller and suddenly the entire thing will fold and his number will be up. His guitar tech seems to be patching it as needed with clear packing tape.

His rubato solo versions of "Crazy" always impress me anew, even when they're thrown into a medley of his other early stuff.

MD
gettin' sounds

Post by MD » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:01 am

stubenbaines wrote:I've read that Patsy couldn't get the vocals right on the initial session due to broken ribs and she had to come back later to overdub the lead.
Yeah, I heard that she was having trouble at first because she was trying to match the idiosyncratic backphrasing from Willie's demo. It finally clicked when she just sang it like Patsy.