Yamaha PM1000 module OR Chandler Germanium?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Beneficial
pushin' record

Yamaha PM1000 module OR Chandler Germanium?

Post by Beneficial » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:04 am

I need a good sounding mic pre mainly for vocals and I don't have much money. I was considering selling a bunch of stuff on ebay and scrounging up the loot for a Chandler Germanium. Seems great for the money (especially for how versatile it seems). But I've read so much about how great these inexpensive PM1000 modules sound. Close to Neve sound for $150? Seems too good to be true. Unfortuntely I havn't had a chance to hear either of these in person. I'd like to get a larger than life 1073 sound but can't afford it. Right now I've got an AKG 414 running through a Studiomaster 16-8-2 pre. Is it worth it to go for the Germ? Is a PM1000 module even comparable?

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:14 pm

The PM1000 doesn't make sense in this application and I haven't heard the new Chandler stuff, but on this type of budget why not look at the two most recommened mic pres out there.

The FMR RNP and the Sytek. Then add a compressor for a good vocal chain.

Josh

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:22 pm

well i really enjoyed the pm1000 for vocals...
magik with a sm57...

wouldn't dream of using a 414 for vocals tho'
i'm sure the rnp/sytek would be the best bang for buck...+easier than the pm1000...no re-caping no powersupply noodling...
unless you're a ninja with the soldering iron...then you could do the job in your sleep...

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:32 pm

That's what I meant by the PM1000 not making sense, it isn't like the module drops into a frame like an API or NEVE, so you would have to do some work on it to make it work for you. I think if you want to get the most bang for the buck, you should get a cleaner pre like the RNP and add different compressors/eq's etc. to color/not color the sound. Gives you more options that way.

Josh

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:45 pm

CHANDLER!

i've got a couple channels of the pm1000 and they're really decent. the eq's a bit flakey and prone to oscillation, but the pre's really do put a lot of muscle onto tape/hardrive etc...

BUT the chandler stuff i've heard is in a completely different category. more lows more mids more highs more everything that's good.

I haven't heard the germanium, but the other stuff is so amazingly good that there's just no way the sonic magic didn't spill over into the germainum line...no way.

so my money goes with chandler. plus, wade's a super nice guy. and only uses top, top, top quality parts. the PM1000 stuff is nice... and i use it and still like it, but the transformers aren't anything special... not to mention that unless you've recapped it the parts in any module you get are likely to be near the end of their life.

save your money and headaches and go with the chandler....

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:25 pm

If it has to be between those two, I'd definitely go for the Chandler germ, simply because of Chandler's reputation. Don't forget to factor in the cost of the power source for the Chandler.

bounce
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bounce » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:22 pm

While I LOVE my 4 PM1000's for drums and some other things, I haven't really liked them with any of my LDC's for vocals. They've just been too present (aggressive) for me but I have the preamp sections only, no eq. They sound absolutely great on drums (huge!) and acoustic guitar. I would go another way for vocals. I can see them being a good match with vocals on a 57 (more mid, less hi/hi-mid, than some LDC's). I've heard great things about the TG channel for vocals but have yet to get one in here to try :-)

mckay
McKay Garner
Production-Mixing-Composition
http://www.mckaygarner.com

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:32 pm

Has anyone else noticed there being a problem with using a PM1000 + compression on quiet sources?

I mean, I know they don't have a WHOLE lot of gain (even if you are using an output transformer), but I kind of wish the input transformer would step up more or something, so the noise floor would be down so you can compress and not bring up all the noise.

Moderately loud sources, though, they sound great.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:07 am

hey honkey...
which caps did you change on your strips....and to what value...
please please....

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:25 am

I recapped pretty much my whole board with Nichicon PW's.
I kept the values pretty much the same. I combined a few values.
Like, there's just no sense ordering both 47uF/50V caps and 47uF/35V so I just replaced all those with 47uF/50's.

I increased the size of the famous C37 to 330/25. And I changed the input coupling cap and the tant off the fader to 3.3uF/63V (Wima MKS-2's)

Beneficial
pushin' record

Post by Beneficial » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:15 am

I've seen PM1000 modules being sold with 3 output transformers, with 1 output transformers, with none, etc. Is it better to get your hands on a module with output transformers? I've heard they aren't the best. You can just run unbalanced out right? What are other folks doing?

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:29 am

They're great output transformers. And they're hard as hell to find. The fact is there's not enough to go around for all the people making direct outs, so if you find a channel strip with an output tranny included, grab it. You can always try hooking it up both ways, and see which you like best. Then sell the transformer if you don't prefer it in the signal path. Why you wouldn't I don't know, but I gurantee you there's people will jump on it for $50.

Beneficial
pushin' record

Post by Beneficial » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:40 am

Thanks for all of the info. Why would some modules have three transformers and some only one?

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:05 pm

different modules...
those modules with output trannys are not the standard input module....
if they're on ebay that's a output module....
the pm1000 used 3 fuking output transformers on its outputs..
scarry...
so i'm in the middle of racking 4 input modules...
it's my first real diy...and it's not that hard...but....
well it's not a 20 minute job at first....
and i've found it kinda hard to get a really straight forward technique on how to rack them....
lots of speculation all over the place....but no "disconnect this wire..reconnect to this post.." something really easy you know
found a decent photo and my first board came together quite easily...
still...the case will be a bit of a pain i'm sure...

and yes i'm going out unbalanced for now....but i'll be adding a tranny as soon as i get my hands on one...or 4..when you break that ebay auction down thats 4 trannys for $60...
i think you could do better....cinemag?

Beneficial
pushin' record

Post by Beneficial » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:57 pm

I've always read of people just racking up PM1000 modules.... so there are input modules,, and output modules? Do you have to get your hands on both in order to make a functional racked up mic pre? This will be my first project and I'm excited to give it a shot, but it seems pretty convoluted.