Soundproofing Berlin, Germany, please help.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Commodore
audio school graduate

Soundproofing Berlin, Germany, please help.

Post by Commodore » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:16 am

Hello,

I am living in Berlin, Germany and I recently rented a room in a complex/office building to use to make music. The floor I am on is for musicians and although the walls are a little thicker the rooms are not sound proof.

Because I make dance music professionally there will be a sub woofer in my room. I also work everyday for long hours.

I was told I can modify the room to make it more soundproof and if I will be bothering my neighbors it is required. Needless to say I want to soundproof the room.

Does anyone here know a company in Berlin that does soundproofing?

I would really appreciate any contacts because I would like to treat the room before my equipment arrives from New York City in January.

I do realize no soundproofing is 100% and it is expensive.

I am also considering taking my sub off the floor and maybe trying to use new monitor speakers... maybe something with a 8 inch woofer and larger amp (Event SP8, Dynaudio BM15A).

Thank you for any information you can give me!
-Commodore

mpedrummer
steve albini likes it

Post by mpedrummer » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:50 pm

Neighbors - where are they? (Above, below, sides?)

Transmission through the floor is going to be your biggest issue with a sub (I'm sitting next to a monster of a sub as I type) and decoupling from the floor is going to be your biggest return. Auralex makes an amp platform, I've never used it specifically with a sub, but it's designed to decouple heavy loud things from floors, so it might be of use.

More drastic (and probably more effective) would be to float the floor, at least under the desk/speakers/sub. Like, making a floating floor platform in the room, not necessarily the whole thing. I gathered that you aren't going to be tracking live instruments? Or, at least, not live drums.

I don't know any good soundproofing companies in your part of the world, but I'd be willing to bet that you can make a significant difference in things on your own, with help from us bozos. :)

MPEDrummer

jEdI cLAMpEtT
audio school

Post by jEdI cLAMpEtT » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:54 am

everything you need to know is right here:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

Commodore
audio school graduate

Post by Commodore » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:46 am

Yes thanks... I recently found that forum and I moved my overall thread about this there:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 7031#37031

Also you can see my room and a "blueprint" here:
http://www.thingstocome.com/news/Project_Studio.shtml

Thank you!
-Commodore

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:21 pm

A trick I've used to decouple subwoofers and amps from the floor might be helpful to you.

WARNING: this may require drinking some beer.

Alt beers (and the Dutch Grolsch brand in the US) with ceramic flip tops can make nifty isolation cones. Empty the bottle of its contents and pull apart the heavy wires that fit into indentations in the bottle neck.

With pliers straighten the wires that go through the ceramic piece and pull out the metal and discard. Remove the rubber gasket and retain.

On the floor place the gaskets in a triangular pattern a little smaller than the size of the woofer box with the ceramic pieces on top with the tip up. Place speaker on top.

Don?t forget to recycle!

Prosit,

Bill
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****