"Walking On Thin Ice"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

"Walking On Thin Ice"

Post by joelpatterson » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:55 pm

Dont' know why I find myself pondering this gem...

Granted, the timing was pretty dreadful... but even the wave of sympathy that washed over me couldn't make me like this screecher. When I went back and listened to Double Fantasy, I hear in Yoko's songs this wail of discontent... maybe a premonition of the tragedy to come? Or maybe just pissy pampered rich woman discontent?

If Yoko is on this board, of course I take it all back.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:45 am

I think Yoko's best when she's doing her "16-track voice" thing, as on "Don't Worry Kyoko" or "Why?" I think her more standard song structures are pretty awkward. Season of Glass across the board is pretty weak, and Rising, the record she did with Sean's band, is uneven as well (although the backing band on Rising is great throughout). Her strength is as an avant-garde artist, not a conventional songwriter.

Although I'm very fond of "Kiss Kiss" from Double Fantasy.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:43 am

That song has been a real head-scratcher for me. I don't know the circumstances behind the lyrics at all. The instrumentation is pretty interesting though.