Edith Frost's "Wonder Wonder"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

evan
buyin' gear

Edith Frost's "Wonder Wonder"

Post by evan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:02 am

Anyone know anything about these sessions? All I know is Steve Albini engineered it. Quite honestly I don't know much about the records he produced (something by Nirvana, right? Shellac?). But this ranks high in my mind as a simply great-sounding, natural-yet-sparkles-in-all-the-right-ways record.

And to be completely tangential, how about Andrew Bird's <i>The Swimming Hour</i>? That record is another one of my personal favorites in the same category, and I don't know anything about it besides a name (Mike Napolitano).

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:39 am

I seriously LOVE that record (not to mention anything with Edith's name upon it). Outside of the great music, I've also noted the excellent sound and consider it to be demo disc quality as it captures a very rich and compelling sound with a very organic quality that's worthy of striving for IMHO. Her other recordings are also quite excellent. The more stripped down "Calling Over Time" also has a beautiful quality of production. I seem to recall that disc being engineered by Jim O'Rourke. I'd be curious, from a tech-geek standpoint, how those records were engineered.