Ryan Adams - 29

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Ryan Adams - 29

Post by musikman316 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:07 pm

Anyone else pick this up yet? I just got it and have listened to it while at work and I'm really digging it... reminds me of his Love is Hell stuff, more than the two earlier records of this year. Great sounds, Ethan Johns did an amazing job again!

Josh

Ian
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ian » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:45 pm

I'm looking forward to this CD. I've got disc1 from Cold Roses stuck in my car CD player, and I need a new Ryan fix. The last CD didn't do much for me, not that it's bad, but I usually end up loving every other Ryan CD.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:24 pm

Fuck yeah....that's all I can say. I've been a fan since Heartbreaker and can honestly say I feel this year has seen his best output....all 3 records are great IMHO. i've had a closely guearde leak of the record for about a month and a half and I still can't get enough of it....being able to buy it makes it a whole new record.

That said...I love all these reviews that dog 29 as being "the sound of an exhausted performer" basically reaching the end. The joke is that 29 was the first of the 3 installments recorded. Same thing with folks saying that it's an obvious end to the "alt-country" direction. Yeah. Too bad the most country record was recorded last.

I dunno. I find it funny when reviewers shoot their mouths off.

All told, I think i generally like the preduction work of Tom Schick (sp?) over the Ethan Johns stuff. Not to take away from Johns at all, but there's something about the RA that Tom Schick brings out.

I know what yer saying about Cold Roses. CR pretty much embodied my NY experiences this summer out by Joel's. It was literally the only record I listened to on the plane both ways and every night while unwinding. Very relaxing. It was twice as cool that Joel had some mag with a rather lengthy RA interview about the Cardinals. I was so set up....RA everywhere...almost creepy.

*fanboy mode off

*re-engage jaded know it all jack-ass

*rebooting indie/rock street cred

* fuck, I'm too busy listening to Fleetwood Mac right now

heylow