Finally, my own space!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Finally, my own space!

Post by ryanlikestorock » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:13 pm

I paid a deposit on a rental space here in Toronto. For those of you who don't know Toronto, finding a reasonable space without paying a fortune is incredibly difficult. So, I'm happy.

Here's the thing: the place is COVERED with carpet. It was a rehearsal space for 10 years and has carpet everywhere. Floor to ceiling, etc. It's also got acoustic tiles (on an 11.5' ceiling, which isn't bad).

Anyway, I'm wondering what you all think of this. Should I take the carpet off one wall, two walls, everything? Should I put down a hardwood floor? What would you do?

I have two rooms. One is about 20x15' (already built with bass traps, which is a bonus). The other is about 20x10'. I'll probably be using the larger room for tracking and the other room as a control room with an iso booth.

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:16 pm

I've got my own ideas but I guess I was hoping someone would step up and tell me that ALL carpet is actually a good thing. :)

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:44 pm

assuming you don't like how it sounds and you want to do a lot of stuff, I think you should take down all the carpet, and then use real traps and 703 to manipulate the sound to what you want.

googacky
pushin' record

Post by googacky » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:33 am

Go over toEthan Winer's acoustics forum and poke around there. You'll find all kinds of information. If you're looking to hire someone, I'm working with and have been very happy with Bryan from Sensible Sound Solutions.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:08 am

If it's been a rehearsal space for ten years, you're gonna want to get the carpet out of there. think of all the smoke, beer and god knows what that has been spilled there.

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:40 pm

For sure. I really should start from scratch. Time to sharpen the old pencil.