2 songs recorded in an afternoon (not on myspace)

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Foot Foot
audio school graduate

2 songs recorded in an afternoon (not on myspace)

Post by Foot Foot » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:47 pm

A friend of mine was down form Brooklyn recently and we had an afternoon to record 2 of his new songs. Mostly all first takes, minimal anything except the use of a dbx 166, a couple of mikes, and my fostex A-8 1/4".
I really liked these songs so I thought I'd post them.
If you are from Brooklyn and have a chance to check out my friends band "the New Lows" you might even hear them play these songs.
Does it help to mention that they are really nice guys?
Oh yeah:
http://www.gorillasaves.com/03-Blue.mp3

http://www.gorillasaves.com/06-The-Lake.mp3

Ihope you like.
Cheap, Fast, and Dirty

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:47 pm

I don't have any technical advice to give.

But man, I love rock music. Sounds real nice to me.

Foot Foot
audio school graduate

Post by Foot Foot » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:00 am

Thanks. I sometimes wonder if the music is that good or I am just sympathetic to it because I am so familiar to it.

I try not to work on things that I don't really care for.
Cheap, Fast, and Dirty

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:05 am

Definitely did your job well.

Take with a grain of salt, because I'm no expert by any means, but the main technical comment I'd have would be that on "The Lake" you probably could roll off a lot below 80Hz on the bass track to get rid of the boominess (seemed to work when I EQ'd it while listening with iTunes) and also it'd probably give you a lot more headroom for mixing.

On "Blue", you might try to thicken up the rhythm guitar's sound with another guitar or an acoustic or some keyboard or something. Sounds to me like what you got on tape is probably what the sound was like coming from the amp, but it's a pretty "pedal-ly" sound without much character from the guitar and the amp.

Not necessarily my kind of music, but the band plays well. "Blue" probably would benefit from some more detailed arrangement to give it some more varied interest. The timbre of the singer's voice is pretty decent, but his intonation is a little rough in spots, particularly on longer notes. Nothing personal - it's hard. Some re-arrangement of the vocal part might help that.

Like I said... grain of salt... just my 2 cents... etc.