NPR transition music

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

bradb
pushin' record

NPR transition music

Post by bradb » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:23 pm

This is one of the reasons I love listening to NPR. They're staff is obviously very hip and they put in a great deal of "wink wink" music in between their articles.

My favorite NPR transition song moment was when they were interviewing Sally Ride and they played an instrumental version of Mustang Sally.

:D

get it? "Ride, Sally Riiide"

totally cool.

so... what was your favorite NPR transition song?

sensorarray
audio school graduate

Post by sensorarray » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:17 am

lol. i listen to ALOT of NPR and noticed that sometimes but never took note. Next time I hear something, I'll note it hear. I love public radio lol.

derrick
landofillearthquakes.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:56 am

They use Garmarna's Hildegard Von Bingen CD a lot, which is cool.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

julia
audio school graduate

Post by julia » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:53 am

i've noticed this, too, and thought it was really cool. isn't it during one segment of theirs, specifically? like "fresh air"?

most of the stuff i really like on there i don't even know who it is. i wish there was a place online somewhere where they'd post all their transition music! they did play a clip from sigur ros a few years ago, before they got real big. i think that was the first time i had to give their transition music a double take.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:08 pm

Although as of late 2004, Terry Gross had never heard of "Chipmunk Punk." So debit 15 cool points.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:09 pm

They've been using an awful lot of The Bad Plus lately. That's fine by me.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Maurice
ass engineer

Post by Maurice » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:55 am

Tom Verlaine's Warm and Cool has gotten a lot of bumper play over the years, and if you're not familiar with it, it's been reissued.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:36 pm

I was listening about two weeks ago, and all of a sudden I was like, woah! That is me playing drums!?!?!?

They used like three songs by the wingdale community singers, which I recorded and mixed, and wound up playing on.

Funny. I was amazed at how much the sonic fingerprint of NPR is heard even during the musical selections... What do they use?

Aphex dominator? orban optimod? NPR just sounds so unique! You know it is NPR before even hearing an ID, totally because of that sonic signature. Amazing how that has developed into a true art form over the years of broadcasting....

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:39 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
Funny. I was amazed at how much the sonic fingerprint of NPR is heard even during the musical selections... What do they use?

Aphex dominator? orban optimod? NPR just sounds so unique! You know it is NPR before even hearing an ID, totally because of that sonic signature. Amazing how that has developed into a true art form over the years of broadcasting....
Likely, lots less compression/limiting.

I know they used to cut a lot on Sonic Solutions and now use ProTools. But I don't know the broadcast chain...just sounds like less "radio station limiter" to me. Not trying to leap out at you like Jack-FM.

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:22 pm

You can see the interlude music on the page for each show. I was driving last night and heard something from Tucker Martine's Mylab record, and sure enough, it's on the archive list for the show.

Frank

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:44 pm

Whenever the local NPE station here finishes a story about some Hispanic issue, or person they usually transition out with some Calexico. Always makes me smile.

The recent upsurge in using Tom Verlaine in the transitions is really cool, I agree.

noise.light
audio school

Post by noise.light » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:08 pm

Many, many years ago I remember hearing Madonna's Material Girl between a story about the financial industry and female vocal pop music.

hh
audio school graduate

Post by hh » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:27 am

a couple years ago, i heard one of my pieces used on All Things Considered. actually, they used the same piece twice -- both times, after stories about the invasion of Iraq.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:45 am

Send your material to 'All music considered' at the NPR.org site and your new music could be used as that transition music.

fyi