how to deal with a corner door?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

james4954
audio school graduate

how to deal with a corner door?

Post by james4954 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:50 pm

howdy folks,

i am planning acoustic treatment for my project studio but I have a problem - the rear left corner of my room is also the door frame, meaning I can't install any bass traps in that corner.

Am I better off leaving the other rear corner untreated to keep things symmetrical, or am I better off treating as much of the room as I can, regardless of symmetry? I'm sure others have had this same problem to deal with - what works best?

thanks for any advice!

James

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Post by Sean Shannon » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:03 am

Maybe its placement is perfect, an open door is a bass trap.
Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com

james4954
audio school graduate

Post by james4954 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:36 am

true, but an open door just gives me a whole other set of problems . . .

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Post by Sean Shannon » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:37 am

Such as......?
Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com

james4954
audio school graduate

Post by james4954 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:46 am

such as pissing off my wife . . .

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by exit2studios » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:48 pm

unfortunatley, I don't have an answer for you. But I do (will) share the same problem with you once I move into my new house. I'm very curious about this as well.

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Post by Sean Shannon » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:56 pm

I'm sure your wife doesn't want to hear you playing the same section of a song over and over again as you overdub parts, so I see your point. You said "project studio", not "home studio", which comes with it's own set of problems, of course.

You also don't mention if this project studio is a control room or the live room or both in one room.

With the door closed, it is a sealed room and she can't hear what you are doing? Soundproof? Then bass trapping can make the room sound better for mixing. Bass traps are a solution to bass buildup in a sealed room.

Also, if it is a hollow-core interior door, you may want to hang a solid door there, and seal the bottom with door sweeps, or the noise reduction will be minimal into the rest of the house. Then again, if it is a room in a house with single ply drywall, you've got a lot of other emission problems.
Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:18 pm

Sean Shannon wrote:I'm sure your wife doesn't want to hear you playing the same section of a song over and over again as you overdub parts, so I see your point. You said "project studio", not "home studio", which comes with it's own set of problems, of course.

You also don't mention if this project studio is a control room or the live room or both in one room.

With the door closed, it is a sealed room and she can't hear what you are doing? Soundproof? Then bass trapping can make the room sound better for mixing. Bass traps are a solution to bass buildup in a sealed room.

Also, if it is a hollow-core interior door, you may want to hang a solid door there, and seal the bottom with door sweeps, or the noise reduction will be minimal into the rest of the house. Then again, if it is a room in a house with single ply drywall, you've got a lot of other emission problems.
really?

i think the original question was about bass traps in the corner and him having a door there... maybe? perhaps? thats what i'm reading. I believe he'd like to keep the door closed to not bother other people as much.. why does it matter if this is a project or a home studio, i think they both make sound.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:14 pm

As long as you're only talking about bass traps, and not higher frequency stuff, I don't think symmetry matters much. The low end is so omni directional that it doesn't matter if you trap different amounts in each corner.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:58 pm

dont mean to hijack, but isnt asymmetry better regarding diffusion, etc?

or did i miss something in my skimming over acoustics?

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Post by Sean Shannon » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:08 pm

trodden wrote:
really?

i think the original question was about bass traps in the corner and him having a door there... maybe? perhaps? thats what i'm reading.
There you go, thinking. Do you have any suggestions? Or did you feel compelled to spew out nonsense in an attempt to show your wit? I re-read his post, and he starts with "i am planning acoustic treatment for my project studio but I have a problem". Just tryin to help a bruthu out. What about you? Do you have any answers?
trodden wrote:
I believe he'd like to keep the door closed to not bother other people as much.. why does it matter if this is a project or a home studio, i think they both make sound.

There you go, thinking again. They both make sound. Cool. Yer so smart. I do a lot of mixing with the door open, so excuse me. It does matter whether or not he is in his home, because many project studios are not in close proximity to the wife or a neighbor who cares, a good example would be a warehouse. I have a home studio, a project studio, and a commercial studio, and the treatment requirements are radically different for each space. Again, do you have any suggestions for this guy? At least I use my real name...
Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com

antonlamont45
gettin' sounds

Post by antonlamont45 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:49 pm

i have an open doorfrome, no door, in the back corner of my mixing room as well, what i have done is take 2 heavy moving blankets ($20 from ebay) and hung them side by side in the doorway like curtains, each of them folded up triple so that they have about 10 inches of depth with air gap inside. (sort of like if you tried to fold a thick carpet over 3 times, it wont fold flat but that is good).

this 'curatin' is easy to walk through and when not needing bass absorption you can just roll it up in place at the top of the doorframe.

having already a lot of oc703 in the room, these blankets in the doorway have improved the bass acoustics a lot. that corner of the room where the doorframe is used to be a bass problem area, no longer. depending on the acoustics of your room, this could make a big difference.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:55 pm

Sean Shannon wrote:
trodden wrote:
really?

i think the original question was about bass traps in the corner and him having a door there... maybe? perhaps? thats what i'm reading.
There you go, thinking. Do you have any suggestions? Or did you feel compelled to spew out nonsense in an attempt to show your wit? I re-read his post, and he starts with "i am planning acoustic treatment for my project studio but I have a problem". Just tryin to help a bruthu out. What about you? Do you have any answers?
trodden wrote:
I believe he'd like to keep the door closed to not bother other people as much.. why does it matter if this is a project or a home studio, i think they both make sound.

There you go, thinking again. They both make sound. Cool. Yer so smart. I do a lot of mixing with the door open, so excuse me. It does matter whether or not he is in his home, because many project studios are not in close proximity to the wife or a neighbor who cares, a good example would be a warehouse. I have a home studio, a project studio, and a commercial studio, and the treatment requirements are radically different for each space. Again, do you have any suggestions for this guy? At least I use my real name...
wow! your real name? no fucking way! U R GR8!!!

maybe i came off a little wrong in my post. God forbid thinking! specially if you don't use you real name in a message board! duh!

yeah, i see the mention bass traps and the corner door in the first paragraph of the post, you might have missed that.

and no, i have no suggestions, merely waiting for yours. thinking you might have a good one now.

always thinking,
trodden (not me real name)

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:13 pm

Be nice fellas!

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: how to deal with a corner door?

Post by drumsound » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:15 pm

james4954 wrote:howdy folks,

i am planning acoustic treatment for my project studio but I have a problem - the rear left corner of my room is also the door frame, meaning I can't install any bass traps in that corner.

Am I better off leaving the other rear corner untreated to keep things symmetrical, or am I better off treating as much of the room as I can, regardless of symmetry? I'm sure others have had this same problem to deal with - what works best?

thanks for any advice!

James
How much space is above the door? i have a door in the rear corner and the front corner of my CR. I've got 2x2 Real Traps bass traps above the doors. If there's 18" or so above the door you'll be fine with those.